Recapture CO2 once keg is empty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried a search, and maybe used the wrong terminology - found nothing.

Once a soda keg has been emptied of beer, its full of CO2 gas at serving pressure. Is there a way to recapture that CO2, or is it just wasted? I have a three spigot setup, and I guess the individual regulators must have a back flow preventer because I couldn't get the gas to flow from the pressurized empty keg coming out of the kegerator into the new full keg being readied to go into the kegerator. Would a jumper line push some of that CO2 into the fresh keg?
Is it worth bothering? I only have a five pound tank so it seems to empty quickly with the three tap setup and friends that like to drink...:mug:

I've also wondered how one would go about `harvesting CO2` from the actual fermentation. But like you have found nothing on searches.

You could use a jumper but then you have a keg tied up as a giant pressurized reservoir. It probably isn't worth it. Bite the bullet and get a 10 pound tank, the fill cost is almost identical for twice the volume.

I've also wondered how one would go about `harvesting CO2` from the actual fermentation. But like you have found nothing on searches.

That CO2 would need to be scrubbed since there are a lot of volatile compounds being driven off by the CO2 and you wouldn't want to reuse it.

Assuming the next on deck beer is similar to the old one, the aroma transfer wouldn't be too unwelcome. However, a keg with 12 psi of gas would basically drop down to 6psi when coupled to another non carbed keg and it would take a pretty long time to equalize to 6. Long story short, without a clean compressor, you can only save half the CO2.

You could use a jumper but then you have a keg tied up as a giant pressurized reservoir. It probably isn't worth it. Bite the bullet and get a 10 pound tank, the fill cost is almost identical for twice the volume.

I can verify this. I just had a 5 lb tank filled for $20 and a 10 lb tank filled for $23. It doesn't make sense to me, but they said the labor to fill the tanks was the same so that accounts for the small $ difference.

Back