Reboiling after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepper1024

Reaction score
Basically i totally messed up the hop schedule....Instead off adding the hops at the beginning of the boil I added them at the very end of the boil. Would i be able to reboil the batch after it has fermented to try and fix this problem?

You'll be making a non-alcoholic beer if you do that and you'd kill any yeast that would do your bottle condition, assuming you're not kegging and force carbing.

After it ferments though, and im going to be kegging it. Just trying to think if there is anyway to add bitterness

The way to add bitterness now would be to dry hop it. If you boil it after it ferments, all the alcohol will boil out and you will kill all the yeast.

somewhere you can buy hop oil/extract maybe through hop union? i missed the second of two hop additions recently so i boiled the hops in a couple of quarts of wort for 5 min and poured it into the already chilled 5 gallon wort, it turned out to be the best beer i ever made. i have no idea why that worked, but it did.

Brew a beer with high bitterness and blend them. No idea if it would work, but why not try?

There were recent brew science experiments where they left out the 60 min bittering addition all together and just had 15 and 5 minute additions. Their conclusion was that you can get plenty of bitterness from late hops additions, and that most people actual described the bittering as smoother and better tasting when there was not a 60 min bittering addition.

The only real drawback they determined from skipping the 60 min hop addition was it hurt head retention.

Anyway, that said, for the batch you just did, you may want to just go with it as-is without adding anything else and see how you like it. It should have a pretty good bittering balance even without the 60 min addition.

No one's asked what style of beer this is. If it isn't an imperial-something, or an IPA/APA then high bittering likely won't be an issue.

What style beer was this supposed to be?

There were recent brew science experiments where they left out the 60 min bittering addition all together and just had 15 and 5 minute additions. Their conclusion was that you can get plenty of bitterness from late hops additions, and that most people actual described the bittering as smoother and better tasting when there was not a 60 min bittering addition.

The only real drawback they determined from skipping the 60 min hop addition was it hurt head retention.

I couldn't find this on the http://sciencebrewer.com/ website. (I assume this is the right place.) Do you have a pointer to that experiment? I'd like to read up on it. Thanks.

The way to add bitterness now would be to dry hop it. If you boil it after it ferments, all the alcohol will boil out and you will kill all the yeast.

FWIW, dry hopping will not add bitterness. Not wanting to troll, but I do want to make sure the info is correct. Hop extract or a hop tea would be an option.

Latest posts

Back