Rebel IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe9216

Reaction score
Ingredients

1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess)
4 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %]
1 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess)
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Pilsen Light (Briess)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.70 %]
1.00 tsp Irish Moss
0.50 oz Chinook [14.20 %]
0.50 oz Centennial
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %]
1.0 pkg BRY-97 American West Coast Ale
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient

*Steep 1lb 4oz Crystal 60L, and .5lbs Carapils in 155F water for 40 mins.
*Bring to boil then add 4lbs Golden Light DME, and 1oz Cascade hops.
*Boil for 30mins then add 1lbs Golden Light DME, 3.3lbs Pilsen Light LME, .5oz Simcoe hops.
*Boil for 15mins then add Irish Moss
*Boil for 5mins then add .5oz Chinook hops.
*Boil for 5mins then add .5oz Centennial hops, and yeast nutrient.
*Boil for 5mins then remove from heat, add .5oz Amarillo hops and steep for 4mins.
*Cool, transfer, and pitch BRY-97 yeast.

this turned out pretty close i think to the SA Rebel IPA. The color turned out darker than the original though. bitterness was about on par as well.

going to play around with the hops schedule to get it more inline with the original on my next batch, and dry hop with .5oz Amarillo and cascade.

They only use 2 row pale malt and caramel 60 as shown on their website.

that's probably why it turned out darker than the SA. I already dumped the golden DME for Pilsen in my recipe for the next try at it.

that's probably why it turned out darker than the SA. I already dumped the golden DME for Pilsen in my recipe for the next try at it.

The darker color is more likely caused by the simple fact that it's an extract brew, particularly as you are adding your extract at 60 and 30 minutes. Also, if you are doing a concentrated boil (i.e. not boiling the full volume, then using top-up water in the fermentor), your are guaranteed to come out darker. Switch your extract varieties if you like, but also try waiting until the last 15 minutes or so of the boil to add them. Not only will you get less darkening of the wort, but as a bonus you'll get better hop utilization from the 60 and 30 minute hops!

EDIT: Also, dumping the Golden extract for Pilsen doesn't get you closer to "only 2-row and C60." It gets you Pilsen and C60. It will still be delicious, but if your goal is to use the same ingredients as the original, you need regular old pale/light extract, which is made from 2-row.

How long would you dry hop? Ive never made an IPA and im gonna try this in a few weeks. I would like to sit my beer before bottling and I was thinking of dry hopping as well.

Back