Reassure me that patience is the answer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I've been making ciders off and on for sometime using store bought juice and a variety of dry wine yeast. I am completely aware of rhino farts and expect them with my ciders. But this is the first time the ciders have really tasted of sulfur. Background:

Recently I obtained 50+ gallons of day old fresh pressed apple cider and started working with it. I fortified the juice from a SG of 1.052 to up to 1.068 using table sugar dissolved in a bit of boiled juice. I placed 20 gallons into my large fermenter and the rest broken into carboys numbered 1-6. Since the cider was fresh with no pasteurization I started by adding potassium metabisulfite in the recommended dosage to each fermentation vessel. I then waited 2 days and pitched the yeast plus pectic enzyme. Carboys 1-3 received D47, 4-6 EC-118, and T58 for the 20 gallon. Let me tell you.. I've smelled rhino farts before - but nothing like 50 gallons at once. The entire house smelled but it's a good thing that my wife loves me and enjoys cider as well :)

3 weeks later all carboys finished at between .998 and 1.001. The t58 finished at 1.007. I racked all carboys into secondary maintaining the original carboy numbers and split the 20 gallon into 4 more carboys #7-10. All ciders still smelled and tasted of sulfur.

I am now at week 5 and the ciders have all cleared very nicely but still maintain sulfur aroma and taste strongly of sulfur. Is there anything else I should be doing other than waiting? I thought of trying to degas one using my drill mounted wine degassing tool just to see what happens? I've had ciders in the past do similar things and the answer has been time. I am usually in no hurry and it's not unusual for me to bulk age cider 4-6 months before I keg it. But since this project is so large, and it's my first time working with fresh juice I'd love some reassurance to RDWHAHB for the next 4 months or so :)

I plan to rack one more time as even though the cider has cleared there is still a little visible trub in the secondary. Once the ciders loose the sulfur taste I plan to add various fruits to some carboys, others will be oaked with a variety of oaks, some will be dosed with sorbate and backsweetened, and I may even pull out a gallon or two to attempt a dry hopped cider with some Galaxy or a C-hop. For now I think I need to wait before doing anything, am I on the right track?

Could someone at least verify that my initial steps of metabisulfite and pectec enzyme where correct? I have acid blend and wine tannin on hand that I am considering experimenting with. Thoughts?

Sulfur flavors and aromas can be a tricky thing to work with as they can indicate both the creation of H2S2 and/or an overly reduced cider. In both cases, racking shortly after the end of fermentation can remove these notes, but isn't always sufficient. This is where degassing (for H2S2) and stirring (for reduction, but it also degasses) can help. Additionally, some extended lees contact in secondary can help clean up both in minor quantities, but strong H2S2 should not be ignored since it will eventually convert to more stable and harder to fix sulfur compounds called mercaptans. If your H2S2 is very strong even after racking a couple of times consider treating with a small copper addition.

KMS and pectic additons were fine, although it's more useful to add the pectic enzyme along with the KMS before any yeast, but this is very minor. Ditch the wine acid blend when making cider, in favor of straight malic acid, with makes for close to 99% of the acid in apples. Tannin can definitely be added now, but is best added prior to fermentation to allow for the yeasts to convert them into more volatile aromas and flavors.

LeBreton, thank you! The ciders are all currently in seconday in which all of them have a small amount of lees in the bottom of the fermenter. I am going to try degassing the cider tonight. Would it be beneficial for me to rack the ciders off the secondary lees before degassing? I remember that in wine making often times the secondary lees are left behind for degassing to aid in the clearing process.

LeBreton covers things very well. :)

The one thing I wanted to expound on would be the copper. Whenever I have a sulfur problem I run my cider or wine past / over a piece of copper wire. This has the effect of converting some of the sulfur to a less Oderus form. I insert the copper wire into my racking tube during my racking phase. I hope this helps along with what has been covered already. Good luck!

What I would try now (although it's about 3 weeks too late) is some yeast nutrient. Since you're degassing a bit anyway, try adding some yeast nutrient (dissolve it in some cider first to avoid nucleation points in a gassy cider- "volcano" is not too strong a word if you don't..............).

Stir in the yeast nutrient.

Some yeast strains don't do well hanging out as gross lees for more than a very brief time, and that could be where some of this odor and yeast stress aroma is coming from.

Thanks all! I am going to try a combination of all.

Yooper - with the FG's all ~ 1.00 do you think there is much work left for the yeast to complete? 10-4 on the volcano, I had that happen with wine once. It would have been entertaining if it were not in a new home.

Thanks all! I am going to try a combination of all.

Yooper - with the FG's all ~ 1.00 do you think there is much work left for the yeast to complete? 10-4 on the volcano, I had that happen with wine once. It would have been entertaining if it were not in a new home.

No, maybe they are about done although with wine yeast strains cider will commonly go to .990.

Back