Really Low Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottpureds

Reaction score
Hello all.

I started my first batch of hard cider 2.5 days ago. Fermentation has almost completely stopped as I have no bubbles and my gravity has surprisingly dropped to about .970. What now?? I expected to have more time... Also is that gravity too low?

I am stuck with no way to purge my secondary of oxygen (I made 3 gals in a 5 gallon caraboy) SOOOOO Ive accepted that in order to not get vinegar I have to change my plans of a secondary and bottle carbonating so I dont have to mix up the yeast at the bottom.

What do yall suggest at this point?
Someone said just leave it in primary longer but for how long and what are the risks?

Thanks in advance!

Something doesn't seem right here. My hydrometer only goes down to .990, how did you get .970 in 2.5 days? What did you start with? What was the SG of your juice / cider?

Ya sorry misread... It's .997 which I believe is normal but still need help with the other issues. Thank you!

If you can't rack to smaller jugs and eliminate the headspace, I would either add enough fresh juice to top off the 5 gallons and let it ferment again or bottle it now and take your chances of sediment.

Fermenting that fast is likely to give you some really nasty flavors. Is your ferment room really warm?

Ya sorry misread... It's .997 which I believe is normal but still need help with the other issues. Thank you!

It may not be done- it could go as low as .990. So I would not bottle it yet.

If it's not clear, it will continue to clear as well and drop lees (sediment) until it is clear. I don't like sludge in my bottles, so I never bottle anything that isn't clear.

I'd consider either racking (siphoning) to a 3 gallon carboy, or to 3 1-gallon sized jugs with bungs and an airlock for it to finish up and clear without risking oxidation or infection.

My garage is about 78? Which is where im fermenting.
So I can just open the 5gal and top it off with more juice sugar and yeast? Id fear more oxygen would get in.

So noone answered my question on my other post. Could yall? Is it a problem that the cider hits oxygen at all or if it just sits in an oxygen environment for too much time?

And just fyi I was planning on leting it sit and settle/clear for at least a week or two.

So I can just open the 5gal and top it off with more juice sugar and yeast? Id fear more oxygen would get in.

So noone answered my question on my other post. Could yall? Is it a problem that the cider hits oxygen at all or if it just sits in an oxygen environment for too much time?

And just fyi I was planning on leting it sit and settle/clear for at least a week or two.

Ouch- that's WAY too hot. You may have some fusel alcohols- higher chain alcohols that cause headaches and some "hot" flavors.

You want to keep the cider away from oxygen and light once fermentation begins. Oxidation will ruin the cider, but also oxygen in the headspace or during racking can also allow mold and oxygen-loving bacteria to take hold and ruin the cider.

1) yes, dump in more juice. the yeast will continue to use up the oxygen (for budding and reinforcing their cell walls), and the CO2 produced from the anaerobic fermentation will push out any remaining oxygen, while it is actively fermenting.

2) minimal and transient exposure to oxygen is almost impossible to prevent, and doesn't matter too much.

3) after fermentation has ceased and it has set for a week or so, you can also cold crash it at just barely above freezing for a few days, which will help yeast settle out faster / more completely. Also you can add gelatin in this phase which will also help clear it even more.

4) depending on the yeast you are using, 78F may be WAY too hot. I've gotten good ciders with farmhouse yeasts at that temperature though (bell saison, wy3711)

Last edited:
Thanks for the details! I like learning this stuff as much as I hope to enjoy drinking my homemade hooch, lol.

I bit the bullet and went and bought a 3gal caraboy. I also picked up some sodium bisulfate (same as camden tablets) in case I decide to just kill the yeast, lol.

I'll make sure to keep the hooch inside from now on which is 72-74 in a dark area. Thanks so much!

And a quick update!!! So I siphoned to the 3gal secondary and added a little random apple juice to cap off.

Just smelling I can sense the high alcohol levels... which I cant decide if I like or am disappointed. The flavor is definitely akin to adding a very good, fairly mild, vodka to a good apple cider. I dont know what this SHOULD taste like so I guess Im happy. It has lots of apple cider flavor but "HOT" as you said like I added alcohol to it.

What does that mean in yalls experience? Am I on point for a high ABV%. Will these flavors, both the apple and the alcohol mild out as it sits longer? Or one more than the other?

This is exciting...

Higher ABV can only be had with more sugar, but the flavor you are talking about is due to the high fermentation temperatures. Next time, keep the temps down for the first few days of fermentation (ice bath maybe?) and you'll be peachy!

The 'alcohol' smell is undesirable alcohols, not the ethyl alcohol that you want. Those chemicals may give your a hangover if your get to much, from what I have read.

Thanks for the details! I like learning this stuff as much as I hope to enjoy drinking my homemade hooch, lol.

I bit the bullet and went and bought a 3gal caraboy. I also picked up some sodium bisulfate (same as camden tablets) in case I decide to just kill the yeast, lol.

I'll make sure to keep the hooch inside from now on which is 72-74 in a dark area. Thanks so much!

Campden (sulfite) does NOT kill yeast. It just doesn't. It is a great antioxidant, so it's useful to add during racking the cider, but it won't kill the yeast unless you add so much of it that the cider is completely undrinkable.

And a quick update!!! So I siphoned to the 3gal secondary and added a little random apple juice to cap off.

Just smelling I can sense the high alcohol levels... which I cant decide if I like or am disappointed. The flavor is definitely akin to adding a very good, fairly mild, vodka to a good apple cider. I dont know what this SHOULD taste like so I guess Im happy. It has lots of apple cider flavor but "HOT" as you said like I added alcohol to it.

What does that mean in yalls experience? Am I on point for a high ABV%. Will these flavors, both the apple and the alcohol mild out as it sits longer? Or one more than the other?

This is exciting...

The higher alcohols come from fermenting way too hot- those are called "fusel alcohols" and are the alcohols noted for killer hangovers from cheap booze, as well as the famous headaches associated with them.

Next time, keep the fermentation temperature much cooler, even 10-15 degrees cooler or maybe even more, and avoid that problem.

In an active fermentation, the temperature will rise as fermentation itself produces heat. In a warm room, the temperature of an active fermentation can easily be 10 degrees or more higher than the ambient room temperature. That means it will ferment FAST, and hot, and make tons of fusel alcohols as a result.

I'd call this a learning experience, and let the cider sit in the carboy to clear, and then consider mixing it with sprite or something to serve it to avoid the headaches that come with drinking fusel alcohols in a large amount.

Well thank you. I guess Ill let it sit in secondary for a while and see what happens. Again with the sugar I added it tastes surprisingly good considering everything said cider will be harsh at this stage...

Thanks yall.

Back