Really low gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killface

Reaction score
I brewed the baltic porter kit from NB. The OG is suppose to be around 1.080 mine was 1.043. I somehow screwed up my sparge volume and ended up with a gallon left over. Could this be why the gravity was way off?

Yes more volume will reduce gravity as the sugars are diluted. 6 gallons vs 5 g would drop it about 10-15 points (rough #). Something else is probably going on too.
If extract with top up water, you probably did not stir enough so the hydrometer isnt accurate.
if AG, your efficiencies are less than 70% which is probably the recipe default.

Yeah, I used an online calculators. Now that I think about it there was more than usual left in the kettle that wouldn't fit into the fermenter. I must have way over sparged. That was a dumb mistake. Math has never been my friend. Oh well, I dumped all the DME I had into it and got it up to 1.063. I guess it'll turn out alright just not a baltic. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back