Really high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1977

Reaction score
Hello I just brewed my first batch yesterday and with all the calculations done on BfC it should've had an OG around 1.061.
However I tested it with a very reliable and calibrated refractometer which I used in the past and its well above 1.080. And no I didn't take a sample from the wort before mixing it in the fermentor with the added water. Any thoughts?

I'm assuming your using extract. It's hard to make sure all of the wort and water are mixed thouroughly. Often this will cause a false high or low reading. Extracts have a know sugar potential, so if you used the right amounts you should be good to go.
Another thing is to make sure your volume is correct. If you only have 4.5 gallons in the fermemter from a 5 gallon batch your readings will also come up high.

Thanks Hammy... Maybe it wasn't as thoroughly
Mixed as i thought. Can I still take a sample its been 22 hrs into fermentation... And it s really active

If you take a sample now, it will be lower due to the work being done by your yeasties, and impossible to tell what O.G. was. My .02 is to let it ferment out and take your F.G. and have a guess at ABV. Overall, RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back