Really full Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I just racked my Amber in to a keg and it ended up barely fitting. It's so full that the gas literally only made a small Psst at 35lbs and stopped.

So I am wondering will it still be ok and good to carbonate? I've just never had the keg this full before..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It'll be fine, should be no different than having extra head space. Just easier to purge, less waste :)

So long as your air post isn't dipping into the liquid, you won't run any real risk of having liquid get sucked up if pressure change in the line for any reason. That's the only risk if filling too full, I believe...sucking beer into your regulator :(

I have had a few kegs like that in the past. Never had a problem with the gas. You will be fine.

Just make sure that your gas "in" post isn't covered. If the keg is "really full", it might be.

If it is, use a sanitized turkey baster or something to remove some until it's below the "in" post, and it'll be fine.

If I fill that full, it seems to take a bit longer to carb up for me. Instead of being completely finished at 3 weeks, it'll take about 3 1/2.

I could be crazy too, but I don't think so...

Back