Reafractometer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm, I believe he said he wanted a "digital refractometer to take out the human error factor". That being said, yes I think that would work just fine.

Yes but there are some calculations you have to make to convert Brix to SG and there is also a correction factor for after fermentation has started that is based on your OG. MoreBeer has an Excel Spreadsheet that can do the calcs for you, or if you have BeerSmith you can use that as well.

Ummm, I believe he said he wanted a "digital refractometer to take out the human error factor". That being said, yes I think that would work just fine.

Sorry didn't see that.

I have been looking at buying a digital refractometer to take out the human error factor in readings. Does this look like a good model?

Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NX0WHS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I am currently using that same model, and all I can say is I love it. A couple drops from a pipette and 2 seconds later you have a reading that's accurate. Its also great if you fly sparge, taking readings during it can help you hit your initial gravity every time even if your still figuring out what your efficiency is. As wyzazz grab the MoreBeer excel sheet unless you like doing calculations by hand.

If you have 140 to spend and dislike hydrometers its definitely a nice tool to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the spreadsheet from MoreBeer wyzazz and boomernintysix mentioned earlier. Just plug your numbers in and it does the calculations for you. Click the link under the YouTube video to launch it.

Back