Ready to Buy and Would Like Some Last-Minute Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofiefoot

Reaction score
I sold my 3-vessel propane rig a few months ago, and am about to get my 240V 30A outlet in my garage. I am hoping to downsize my equipment, decrease my brewing day time, and still create some tasty beers.

My must-haves for the new system are:
  • 240V element for quick temperatures and boils (and because I'll have a dedicated outlet for it)
  • 15-gallon capacity for 5 and 10-gallon batches
  • Single-vessel recirculating system
  • Adjustable temperature control
  • Plug and play - I don't want to build controllers or figure out wiring
  • $1000 max budget

Having followed this forum, and done my own research and shopping, I've found few options that meet these criteria. The High Gravity Single Vessel system seems the obvious choice, and looks the business, but I have found very few recent reviews or use cases on that system. I don't mind mixing and matching equipment, if there are other stand-alone options that can combine to meet my criteria, so I'd love some suggestions on how to obtain the system I've listed above, within my price range.

Most of what I've seen outside the all-in-one systems have custom electric work, which I'd like to avoid. I may have missed someone else's similar solution, so feel free to point me to other build threads that may help me out.

Thanks for the help! :mug:

I personally went with a DIY version of the high gravity controller. I think you are looking at the right thing based on your needs. I really enjoy the single vessel system so far (2 brews so far.)

Looks like you found your setup! If I had chosen to go the BIAB route, this was the one I was going to choose.

You may want to spend the extra $50 for the riptide pump on the upgrade options. Nice pump for sure!

Let us know how it goes!

This is almost my exact situation in regards to must haves and budget.

I've looked at the High Gravity but my main concern is the quality of kettle, its a very cheap Bayou Classic. I've also looked at the Unibrau by Brau Supply but the 240V version is currently out of stock.

And finally I've looked at piecing together my own system. Starting with a custom Spike kettle and building my own controller. I was a little apprehensive about that part but the wiring diagrams I've seen for a simple single vessel BIAB controller look really easy to assemble. This route isn't far off the $1k budget I've set for myself and the components are all quality. The other option here would be to buy one of the Brau Supply pre-built 240V controllers.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with Brau Supply. You'll be hard pressed to find a better value, especially considering the quality of the components.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with Brau Supply. You'll be hard pressed to find a better value, especially considering the quality of the components.
Well if your gonna talk quality,
Do you have the system with this pond pump he was selling for $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Elec...652169?hash=item2a7a126489:g:qsoAAOSw-0xYjDUS
or the newer hopefully foodgrade setup he replaced it with?

I'll try to keep to the topic here and just compare what I found to be fact. Please correct me if you have something to indicate im wrong.

When I priced out his components in another thread for someone who asked me to I found they were actually mostly off the shelf economy grade low cost components which added up to about a 3rd of the completed systems cost.
For example his control panel is a $6 aluminum enclosure with less than $130 in additional components and about a $200 assembly fee... Not exactly a great bargain for 2 hrs work if you ask me but thats relative I guess. If a person is ok with that great, but to say a person would be hard pressed to find a better value is not really all that accurate since in reality you could assemble the same system yourself as say the $650 biab setup the sells for about $300.
If a person is dead set against doing any assembly work themselves then so be it. but Even if you bought one of his controllers because you dont want to do the wiring there is still a decent amount to be saved or put into better quality components if you shop around..

Well if your gonna talk quality,
Do you have the system with this pond pump he was selling for $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Elec...652169?hash=item2a7a126489:g:qsoAAOSw-0xYjDUS
or the newer hopefully foodgrade setup he replaced it with?

I'll try to keep to the topic here and just compare what I found to be fact. Please correct me if you have something to indicate im wrong.

When I priced out his components in another thread for someone who asked me to I found they were actually mostly off the shelf economy grade low cost components which added up to about a 3rd of the completed systems cost.
For example his control panel is a $6 aluminum enclosure with less than $130 in additional components and about a $200 assembly fee... Not exactly a great bargain for 2 hrs work if you ask me but thats relative I guess. If a person is ok with that great, but to say a person would be hard pressed to find a better value is not really all that accurate since in reality you could assemble the same system yourself as say the $650 biab setup the sells for about $300.
If a person is dead set against doing any assembly work themselves then so be it. but Even if you bought one of his controllers because you dont want to do the wiring there is still a decent amount to be saved or put into better quality components if you shop around..

Not gonna argue that your could diy for significantly cheaper. But for me, and I think the op as well, there was no interest in going that route. Perhaps I should qualify my statement to say you'd be hard pressed to find an off the shelf, complete system, of the same quality build, for a better price.

The OP doesn't say what other equipment he has, I'm assuming if he's spending $1,000 on a brewing rig he already has fermentation temperature control and kegging equipment? If you don't have those things, I'd get them first and make your wort in a cheapo round cooler with a BIAB bag and boil it on your kitchen stove or a simple outside burner. You don't need an expensive rig to make wort.
So if you've got those things, I think you're on the right track with the high gravity system. Maybe you'd come out ahead getting a better pot and using some of their components?

Looks like you found your setup! If I had chosen to go the BIAB route, this was the one I was going to choose.

You may want to spend the extra $50 for the riptide pump on the upgrade options. Nice pump for sure!

Let us know how it goes!

I am considering the Riptide pump. My last pump was a pain in the butt, so a good pump is on the list.

This is almost my exact situation in regards to must haves and budget.

I've looked at the High Gravity but my main concern is the quality of kettle, its a very cheap Bayou Classic. I've also looked at the Unibrau by Brau Supply but the 240V version is currently out of stock.

And finally I've looked at piecing together my own system. Starting with a custom Spike kettle and building my own controller. I was a little apprehensive about that part but the wiring diagrams I've seen for a simple single vessel BIAB controller look really easy to assemble. This route isn't far off the $1k budget I've set for myself and the components are all quality. The other option here would be to buy one of the Brau Supply pre-built 240V controllers.

The only thing with the Unibrau is the max it will do is 5-6G.

I'd certainly consider Brau Supply if they had the capacity in their BIAB setup. I have a feeling I'll be doing some higher-gravity 5-gallon batches with my next setup, but I want the option for my typical full 10-gallon batches.

The OP doesn't say what other equipment he has, I'm assuming if he's spending $1,000 on a brewing rig he already has fermentation temperature control and kegging equipment? If you don't have those things, I'd get them first and make your wort in a cheapo round cooler with a BIAB bag and boil it on your kitchen stove or a simple outside burner. You don't need an expensive rig to make wort.
So if you've got those things, I think you're on the right track with the high gravity system. Maybe you'd come out ahead getting a better pot and using some of their components?

Good point. I have all the necessary equipment. Counter-flow chiller, carboys, fermentation chamber, 4-tap kegerator and kegs, etc., etc.

The sticking point with me is definitely the brew pot on the High Gravity system, which is why I started this thread. No, I'm not interesting in wiring up my own controller and pot, because it's simply not worth my time, but I do like quality equipment. At the end of the day, I think High Gravity will do everything I need and more, but I'd love to have some quality for the money. At the very least, I'd like to explore the option of High Gravity adding some ports for whirlpool and the option for a pickup tube, even for a little extra cash.

I do appreciate the input and thoughts. augiedoggy, I have seen your replies on other threads, and I completely appreciate your point of view. Could I wire and build my own system? Yes. But I'd rather spend some time researching pre-built systems, and feel comfortable in my purchase.

For the most part, I just want to get back to BREWING!!! I've been away too long, and this consideration process has made me realize how much I've missed doing what I love.

Ok, slight update. High Gravity has the option of building their BIAB system with whichever kettle you choose. I spoke with Dave and confirmed, if I wanted to purchase a 15 or 20-gallon Boilermaker, he could build the system using that instead of the Bayou Classic pot. Of course, the price would be a bit higher, and it wouldn't include the metal basket, but should perform similarly, if not better. Plus, it's heaver gauge metal, and it comes with the built-in sight glass, and removable dip tube.

I'm leaning that way, even if it goes a bit over budget, and am considering whether I want the 15 or 20 gallon kettle. 20 would probably give me more flexibility in the long run, but goes that much higher over budget. Either way, I think it might be a good option.

Just to throw one more option out there...

I have been very happy with my eBIAB set up built around a custom Spike kettle. Would anticipate the Spike set up to be comparable to the Blichmann in cost and I found it tough to beat being able to place the TC ports exactly where I wanted them. I have the BrauSupply EZ Boil set up, but I believe the new High Gravity box offers the same EZ Boil controller, which works great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=590604

Just to throw one more option out there...

I have been very happy with my eBIAB set up built around a custom Spike kettle. Would anticipate the Spike set up to be comparable to the Blichmann in cost and I found it tough to beat being able to place the TC ports exactly where I wanted them. I have the BrauSupply EZ Boil set up, but I believe the new High Gravity box offers the same EZ Boil controller, which works great.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=590604

Couldn't agree more. Brew boss controller with spike kettle and arbor fab basket. Cost a lot more than 1k but couldn't be happier.

Well, I placed my order with High Gravity.

I went with the Brewtech 20-gallon kettle, which includes a nifty (hopefully) pickup tube with trub block, and a pre-drilled return at the top, for which I purchased a 14" whirlpool attachment. I upgraded to the Riptide pump, and the to the 20-gallon 5000W BoilCoil. I also requested SS camlocks all around instead of the polysulphone connectors they use on their system. I was able to indicate where I'd like all the holes drilled, so I feel like I'm getting a nice customized system, with quality equipment and more capacity than originally intended, for just a few hundred dollars more.

Now the wait begins...

I've been horrible about updates.

I've got to hand it to Dave and High Gravity for their efficiency, not to mention terrific customer service. I placed my order on 7/18, it shipped on 7/21, and I had the custom system on my doorstep on 7/25. I am very impressed with the quality of components, and look forward to putting it all together. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to run my electric to the garage, so it's just sitting there in the box.

2017-07-26%2020.21.07.jpg

I'll post more once I get it going.

Latest posts

Back