Reading some posts got me wondering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I see a lot of folks using products to make the beer clearer. I am more wondering, does this change the taste any? I have not used any of these products and keg and drink my beers how they come out. I try and limit the amount of trub and hop matter by using bags but I am sure some still gets thru. I have a floating dip tube on my keg, so I am sure that helps as well. But in reading a few posts, it seems some use products to clear the beer even more. Is this more a personal preference? Still new to the beer world and thought I would ask. If this is a question that is out of line or not pertinent please feel free to close it. Also, if it needs to be moved to another subforum, please do so. I was not sure where it would best fit.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated as this might be something to add to my list of things I should do.

Thanks to all who read and replied. RR

The flavor of most beers is negatively affected by suspended particles. The particles are yeast, protiens/lipids from the malt, and hop residue. So yes, for most beers it helps to remove them. Exceptions are hazy IPAs, german hefeweizen, maybe others that are not coming to mind.

There are many different "finings" that are used to clear the beer after fermentation. Most common are irish moss (aka whirlfloc) added during the boil, and gelatin added post-fermentation. I do both of these. Gelatin works best (quickest) in combination with a "cold crash", in which the temperature is dropped to 30F-40F.

Given enough time, it will settle to the bottom of the fermentor or keg or bottle without any finings added. But we homebrewers are impatient!

Last edited:
Finings are used for two reasons: when you want to speed up the clearing process, and when you're aiming for crystal-clear beer. The latter is at least 95% aesthetic -- while there's a taste difference between clear beer and green beer that hasn't conditioned at all and has a ton of stuff in suspension, I really doubt there's a difference between brilliant beer and the still-slightly-hazy beer you can get after a couple of weeks cold. This is not to say aesthetics aren't important; you have to look at your beer as well as drink it.

If you use isinglass or gelatin, some vegetarians will not drink your beer. I'm trying Biofine Clear (colloidal silica) for the first time today, and maybe it'll do something, but I'm not too hopeful.

I see a lot of folks using products to make the beer clearer. I am more wondering, does this change the taste any? I have not used any of these products and keg and drink my beers how they come out. I try and limit the amount of trub and hop matter by using bags but I am sure some still gets thru. I have a floating dip tube on my keg, so I am sure that helps as well. But in reading a few posts, it seems some use products to clear the beer even more. Is this more a personal preference? Still new to the beer world and thought I would ask. If this is a question that is out of line or not pertinent please feel free to close it. Also, if it needs to be moved to another subforum, please do so. I was not sure where it would best fit.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated as this might be something to add to my list of things I should do.

Thanks to all who read and replied. RR
Yes, it changes the taste.... maybe better, maybe not....
I've tried the filter thing ( basically what this fellow did: ) and it worked out great but it did change the taste. If your palate is aware enough to pick out differences, any fining technique will change the taste. Going by the posts I've seen you make and comment on (I read this site 24/7 while conscious being disabled and unemployable, but wanting to be productive :p ) I'm assuming you've tried out leaving all the kettle trub in as well as removing what you can. Only You can decide what is right for you... it's all just 'different' after all and definitely not 'better' or 'worse' (unless trying to appeal to judges in competition). You can try all the finings techniques this site describes, though personally I think a filter is the ultimate 'fining', that is only my opinion and there is a cost involved in buying a filter and its housing and hardware. [I have no regrets for my purchases as there are specific brews for which I intend to use it again, even if rarely and it is on stand-by in my 'brewing-stuff' pantry.]
You seem like a kindred soul in this respect: Try it all and keep what works for you.
:mug:

Clearing your beer from 'suspended particles' has little to no affect on taste (assuming no GROSS yeast deposits/hops enter your glass). Retronasal olfaction is effected by too many things such as temperature of the beer, the beer glass (thinness of the glass lip rather) , age of the beer, you're overall sensory perception (ie allergies, meds your on, sinus infection/cold ect) , are you having beer with food...ect , preconceived notions and the mood your in! It's far to complex ..... sommeliers understand this

If you like drinking clear beer like myself try splitting your next batch into one "fined" and the other "natural" and drink them out of wine blind tasting glasses. You will get my point.........

I recently did three batches of the same beer. However the last batch had a bad chill haze that lingered. It also didn't taste as good to me with that chill haze.

I've been wondering if the fact I forgot to use whirlfloc on that batch near the end of boil has anything to do with it having such a bad chill haze that takes a week to clear. The other previous batches didn't have any noticeable chill haze after a full day or two in the fridge.

That last batch was just as clean coming out of the FV for bottling as the others were.

I use Whirlfloc at boil and Clarity Ferm at yeast pitch(this is a two birds, one stone case) to help reduce gluten and it helps with shelf stability and chill haze. I don't obsess over the clarity of my beers, if they taste good. I am happy. If its clear and pretty to style, I am ecstatic. I am a firm believer post fermentation clarity has a lot to do with brew day processes. Time in the package cold makes most haze drop out, so if you are a patient person, that almost always works.

The few times I've forgot to add Whilflock, it affected flavor of beer. This is not to say the un-clarified beer was bad, but it did have additional flavors.

Since most of the beers I brew are intended to be clear, ie Pilsners, Lagers and blonde ales, the cloudiness and resulting flavor would generally be considered negitives, but never stopped me from enjoying otherwise good batches.

Like @KeizerBrewr, I use whirlfloc in the boil and clarity ferm at pitch (I use it to reduce gluten, but it was designed to get rid of chill haze). I haven't noticed any negative flavor impacts. Forgetting the whirlfloc can be noticeable in the sense that I don't get as good of a cold break, but I couldn't tell any flavor impacts. Both whirlfloc and clarity ferm add approximately two seconds to my brew day, so it's worth it for me. I haven't used gelatin or isinglass because they take more time, and my beer seems clear enough.

I recently did three batches of the same beer. However the last batch had a bad chill haze that lingered. It also didn't taste as good to me with that chill haze.

I've been wondering if the fact I forgot to use whirlfloc on that batch near the end of boil has anything to do with it having such a bad chill haze that takes a week to clear. The other previous batches didn't have any noticeable chill haze after a full day or two in the fridge.

That last batch was just as clean coming out of the FV for bottling as the others were.
I've had similar experiences. I really don't think forgetting whirlfloc should cause any type of flavor, but when I have forgotten it, it has been just a bit different from my previous batches with the same recipe. I keep telling myself its just an illusion and only I would notice it, but I do wonder.

I really don't think forgetting whirlfloc should cause any type of flavor,
I'm not saying that the whirlfloc directly caused a change in the taste. However I did have more chill haze that took a long time to clear up with that one batch. And chill haze can be tasted. At least some of us notice it, and we don't like it.

So I am wondering if that batch had more chill haze because I didn't use whirlfloc and I did with the others. Otherwise the recipes were the same, with the exception the last batch was with less malts for a lower OG and lower ABV.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have a Citra Pale Ale in the keg, and I really like it. It is fairly clear, not crystal though, and I just followed the directions on the recipe sheet. I am going to try the whirflock tablet as I have seen that used a lot by others. Other than that, I am just trying to get a handle on the process and get it streamlined so brew day is not so stressful. But of course, a couple of home brews and I am good with however it works out. Cheers. RR

I tend to use Protafloc on occasion, but not religiously. I've used Brausol in the past (which took a while but produced fantastically clear beer) and also done keg fining on occasion using gelatine, particularly for more heavily hopped British beers. I moderately filter most between the fermenter and keg, but nothing hugely fine. Very few of my beers have ever been properly crystal clear- maybe half a dozen or so.

Don't use too much whilfloc. I've read elsewhere that too much can be worse than none and hinder a good cold break.

I've played around with it some and it seems to be reasonable. However I'm not conclusive in my opinion about it. Currently I break up the tablet and use about .3 grams per gallon. But changing recipes and whether I use hop bags or just toss them in make for differing results trying to assess whilfloc amounts.

Finings are used for two reasons: when you want to speed up the clearing process, and when you're aiming for crystal-clear beer. The latter is at least 95% aesthetic -- while there's a taste difference between clear beer and green beer that hasn't conditioned at all and has a ton of stuff in suspension, I really doubt there's a difference between brilliant beer and the still-slightly-hazy beer you can get after a couple of weeks cold. This is not to say aesthetics aren't important; you have to look at your beer as well as drink it.

If you use isinglass or gelatin, some vegetarians will not drink your beer. I'm trying Biofine Clear (colloidal silica) for the first time today, and maybe it'll do something, but I'm not too hopeful.
I’m a big fan of Biofine. A local brewery that I got the opportunity to brew one of my beers with frequently uses it. The head brewer (Cal State-Davis grad), recommended it on my beer, and it turned out great. I’ve been using it routinely ever since.

Back