Reading Recipes: Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoKozak

Reaction score
So I'm currently at the boil stage of my first AG brew. When a recipe calls for a 60 minute boil and hops to be added at 60 minutes, I understand that putting the hops in before/at the beginning at the boil starts the process.

If the recipe then calls for hops to be added as follows (20 minutes), does that mean I add them 40 minutes into the boil (60-20) or 20 minutes into the boil?

Thanks everyone! Cheers!:mug:

40 minutes into the boil. We always state how long the hops are to be boiled for. So a 20 minute addition on a 60 minute boil is boiled for the last 20 minutes. In other words, after forty minutes has passed.

It's easiest if you have a digital timer. When you add your first hops, set your timer for 60 minutes, and then add the rest of the hops when the timer has that number on it. When it says "20", add your 20 minute hops. When it says "5" add your 5 minute hops. I still do that, because it's easy to lose track of time when working backwards like that!

It's easiest if you have a digital timer. When you add your first hops, set your timer for 60 minutes, and then add the rest of the hops when the timer has that number on it. When it says "20", add your 20 minute hops. When it says "5" add your 5 minute hops. I still do that, because it's easy to lose track of time when working backwards like that!

And if you dont have one handy, turn up your speakers and use one of the many online ;)
Then again almost any phone now a days has a stopwatch/count down timer built into the clock.

Thanks again guys. I have a digital probe thermometer with a timer for that. Worked out well this weekend.

Back