Reading HBT while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just hanging out reading HBT while brewing. Making a pumpkin porter with these steps:

Steeped for 45min in 1 Gallon water 160*F:
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
0.4 lb Crystal Malt 120L
0.4 lb Chocolate Malt
0.2 lb Carafa III

Added above liquid to 2.5G boil. Brought to boil. Added this:
6 lb Amber Dry Extract
1 oz Hallertauer hops
1.5 lb Corn Sugar

A couple minutes after I got to the boil, I stepped away for a few minutes. I came back to find that I had nearly boiled over. You can see the line in this pic, got nearly half an inch from the top. Unfortunately, I hadn't used a hop bag, so much of my Hallertauer was deposited on the sides. I used my sanitized spoon to scrape as much as I could into the wort, but added about 1/3oz additional.

15i47ef.jpg

Waiting to add at 20min 1oz Cascade hops. At 15min, I will add 1 tsp Allspice, 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon, 0.75 tsp Nutmeg, 30oz Mashed Pumpkin. At 10min, 0.5 oz Hallertauer.

I finally have a wort chiller, so this will be my first time using that. Currently soaking in StarSan.

Who else is brewing today, and what are you making?

This is a recipe from a local brew shop that the owner adapted to non-all grain for me. I am still learning, but believe it is to increase the taste/abv?

This is a recipe from a local brew shop that the owner adapted to non-all grain for me. I am still learning, but believe it is to increase the taste/abv?

It'll increase the abv but it won't help your taste any...Also helps make it a bit cheaper instead of buying more malt I guess?

A couple minutes after I got to the boil, I stepped away for a few minutes. I came back to find that I had nearly boiled over. You can see the line in this pic, got nearly half an inch from the top.

Last brew, I decided to try mashing and sparging inside and boiling outside. Well I figured id start my 2 gallons of first runnings in my 15 gallon pot outsidewhile i sparged... to try and speed things up! Check it after my 1st sparge (i double batch sparge) and wow, about a half inch from the top! I couldn't beleive i almost boiled over with only 2 gallons! Guess you can never get to comfortable with your brewing process!

Back