Reaction to maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davegrande

Reaction score
Newbee here but "all in."--6 corny kegs, kegerator, etc....

I brewed a stout from a kit and it came out most excellent.

I got a mild case of gas the first time I drank it but just thought that was one of the features of home brew. A few days later, I drank even more but this time I got fairly sick--bloating, gas, and some other things I don't want to mention.

Anyway, I have a blonde that I brewed around the same time which is also excellent. I can drink this all I want and have no reactions--not even a hangover.

When I looked at instructions for the stout, I noticed the kit has maltodextrin. I'm 99.9% sure that this is what is causing me to get sick since I have had mild reactions to malitol (used in sugar free candy) in the past.

Since the stout taste excellent (I like it better than guiness!), I'm guessing that it's okay except my body doesn't like the maltodextrin.

Anyway, has anyone else had a reaction to maltodextrin?

Cheers,
Davegrande

Sugar alcohol (e.g. Maltitol) causing digestive issues is normal... Maltodextrin is a natural component of malted grains. It's one of the unfermentable chemicals that contributes to body and "mouth feel". Your blond has maltodextrin in it too.

Try a beano tablet before you drink a bunch next time and see if it helps

You mentioned having reactions in the past, so that could very well be your issue. However, I've seen quite a few threads about this on the forums over the years where people mention homebrew making them sick, giving gas, indigestion, etc. For a lot of people it's just their body getting used to drinking beer with an active culture of yeast in the bottle, and it passes with time. Again, it might actually be the maltodextrin causing it, but this is another thing to consider.

Sugar alcohol (e.g. Maltitol) causing digestive issues is normal... Maltodextrin is a natural component of malted grains. It's one of the unfermentable chemicals that contributes to body and "mouth feel". Your blond has maltodextrin in it too.

The blond was made with 6lbs 6 oz LME + 2lbs Golden Light Dried Malt Extract.
W/steeped grains and hops. Don't know if all that "becomes" a maltodextrin, but no maltodextrin was added in (the stout has 1/2 pound added in).

Cheers,
Dave

Generally the sugars in wort are dextrose, maltose, maltotriose, and oligosaccharides. (Long chain sugars)

The blond was made with 6lbs 6 oz LME + 2lbs Golden Light Dried Malt Extract.
W/steeped grains and hops. Don't know if all that "becomes" a maltodextrin, but no maltodextrin was added in (the stout has 1/2 pound added in).

Cheers,
Dave

There's maltodextrin in the extract and steeping grains already.

Generally the sugars in wort are dextrose, maltose, maltotriose, and oligosaccharides. (Long chain sugars)

Thanks for such quick replies!
I'm looking at the extract fact sheets and see that they do
contain maltose & maltotriose. Interesting. From what little I know, I understand that those sugars are fermentable whereas maltodextrin is not.

I'm guessing that no matter what you do, you end up with some maltodextrin (?).

And, some, is okay for me ( I can drink on or two of my stouts...you might not want to be in the same room as me afterwards, but I will survive).

The question is, by adding 1/2 pound of a non-fermentable maltodextrin to a 5 gallon batch the amount of maltodextrin is vastly increased vs. the normal fermentation process using lme/dme & steeped grains?

Thanks SO MUCH for all your help.
Cheers,
Davegrande

You are correct, maltodextrin is unfermentable by yeast. There would be a small amount of maltodextrin in normal malt extract, but not much. I think a beano tablet taken before you have your stout would help alot. I have a lactose intolerence issue and they are life savers this time of year! I love sour cream dips...

Actually,maltodextrin is about 5% fermentable. Was the maltodextrin in a seperate bag? If so,don't use it next time & see if that helps. If it's mixed with something,try another kit or recipe. I still have a bag I haven't used yet.

Actually,maltodextrin is about 5% fermentable. Was the maltodextrin in a seperate bag? If so,don't use it next time & see if that helps. If it's mixed with something,try another kit or recipe. I still have a bag I haven't used yet.

The kit comes with a 1/2 pound bag of maltdextrin.
Doing another batch tomorrow but will substitute 1/2 pound more lactose for the maltodextrin (the guy at the homebrew place suggested this).
I eat lots of cheese so I don't think it's the lactose. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks!
Cheers,
Dave

Back