Re-Using Over-Attenuating Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oljimmy

Reaction score
So I broke down and got the whole yeast-farming system. Every time I brew I overbuild and save ~120 billion cells for next time. I was planning on using this strain of WLP001 as my house strain for pales/IPAs/Blondes/etc.

Problem is, the first batch I ran with this WLP001 was very harsh and almost undrinkable because it ran way too dry. 88% apparent attenuation, way over the manufacturer's stated max of 80%. I did use a bit of yeast nutrient in the starter which may have energized the yeast pretty good. I only oxygenated the wort by shaking. I followed the same procedures with my next brew using WY1968 and attenuation was perfect, so I don't think it was my process.

Now I'm coming up on my next brew... should I assume 88% attenuation with this yeast again? 88 is so damn high that it's almost useless for my purposes. Would you dump the yeast and get some more?

Yeast attenuation ratings from yeast companies are a way of comparing one yeast to another using a standard wort. They may not reflect the attenuation you can expect. That is far more dependent on the wort composition than the yeast attenuation rating.

If your an AG brewer you could try mashing at a higher temp. Some yeasts will chew through anything however.

I always thought of it more as ranching than farming. I could not agree more with Denny.
You did not mention if you do all grain. In all grain this is where the fun begins, and all the other skills can be more fully integrated in your process, at least it was that way for me. Using proper ratios of crystal or mash temp to hit your desired fg. Changing water to change the perceived maltiness or bitterness, and shifts it hops that I thought were interchangeable but subtly affected the balance of bitterness and maltiness with minimal affect on hop flavored. Then learning generational impact to the yeast. The insanity of this hobby grows exponentially with every step.

Same thing just happened with me with WY1056... My FG was 1.006 with 88% attenuation. Beer is delicious so I don't mind (APA), but it caught me by surprise. I did harvest the yeast, so for my next DIPA I am counting on similar attenuation and using less sugar in the boil and mashing 1-2deg higher.

Fair enough. I am doing all-grain, sorry, should have mentioned that. I may mash higher, and assume 82-83% attenuation. But the next recipe will be different (12% Vienna rather than mostly 2-row) and I don't want to under-attenuate on a pale ale. Gah!

If you want to fight the yeast (Chico strains like 001 are ungodly aggressive) you can raise the mash temp and add carapils malt for body.

In estimating, Should I assume 88% attenuation at my original mash temp (149) and go from there?

I have always gotten higher attenuation than stated with US-05, but I like dry beers. I don't think it is a problem with the yeast. As others suggested, use more crystal malts and adjuncts for flavor and body. What is your recipe?

88% attenuation for mashing at 149F sounds pretty reasonable. Bumping that up to 152F would probably drop your attenuation to 82-85%. I would try raising your mash temp before adding a lot of carapils or adjuncts for body. I also wouldn't be worried about finishing too high with the vienna malt in there.

I'm with most others and almost always get higher attenuation than yeast manufacturers estimate. I've finally started dialing in my process and discovered that 153F for my lagers is a good midpoint.

If your an AG brewer you could try mashing at a higher temp. Some yeasts will chew through anything however.

Keep in mind that most domestic malts these days are so hot that mash temp makes a lot less difference than it used to. I mashed exactly the same recipe at both 153 and 168 and got identical results.

Right on. Thanks for the suggestions/info everyone. I'm gonna brew a moderately hoppy Pale Ale:

83% 2-row
11% Vienna
6% Caramel 10L

I'll mash at 153 instead of 149, and maybe ferment slightly cooler (start at 64, raise to 69) than I did last time.

Back