Re-using lambic bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I have a bunch of various bottles that contained a lambic or other wild ale. Would a hot water+oxiclean bath be sufficient enough to clean the bugs out? A thorough rinse and starsan would of course follow.

Also, I have some belgian corks and cages coming. Does anyone know if the corks in lambic bottles (lindemans) are the same size as the others (chimay, duvel etc)

edit: oops posted in wrong section. can a mod move this?

I was under the impression that these types of bottles can be capped with 29mm caps rather than the basic 26mm caps, but only with a bench capper.

Warning: This post contains only heresay and no experience based knowledge so take it with a grain of salt

This post also contains heresay and no experience based knowledge, but I would think reusing them would be fine. Do you have a bottle brush to make sure you clean all the organic particles off the glass? I would really only be worried about plastic equipment when dealing with sour bugs. The plastic can become scratched and harbor some nasties. When just using regular yeast the scratches don't have a huge effect on the beers, but when dealing with some bacterias you'd want to have dedicated plastic equipment. Since glass doesn't scratch easily, cleaning the bottles well would probably be safe.

tl;dr: I think you're fine with the glass bottles.

I've reused lindemans bottles with no trouble before. They do take the larger caps.

Back