Re-use yeast cake?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-crash

Reaction score
Ok... Brewed a Kolsch yesterday... Hope it turns out! The plan is to brew again with a similar recipe next weekend. If I move this weeks batch off the yeast cake by next weekend could I just dump next weeks beer directly onto the yeast cake and re-use it?? This is only my third batch so I've got lots of questions! I have however gotten nothing but compliments on my 2 previous endeavors... A CDA and a Gumballhead clone!!

I have done it many times as well. I would only do that one time then wash the yeast and restart the whole process over again.

Let me add to that, pour all the beer off the yeast cake and also pour a quarter off the yeast cake out as well. Now pour your wort in. :mug:

Yes, you can. Especially if you're doing very similar recipes.

Things to be aware of in general for pitching on a yeast cake:
1) you may miss out on some of the the esters and other flavors that are primarily produced during yeast growth, because you won't have nearly as much growth due to high pitching rates. For something like a kolsch, this probably is not a big issue.
2) you want to pay extra attention to yeast health when you're going to be doing this, as you have a huge chunk of yeast that you're throwing your next beer on top of. if they are not healthy yeast, you could have issues. this means O2 and yeast nutrients become more important the second time around. this is true for pitching on a yeast cake AND repitching smaller amounts of yeast.

Anyways, I say this not to dissuade you but just to you can be aware of potential issues that might come up. I personally prefer harvesting the yeast and repitching part of it, but you will probably hear from a good number of people who regularly do what you are suggesting and get results they are very happy with. :D

Back