Re-use dryhop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobInIndy

Reaction score
I've been drinking, so this makes sense to me...

When boiling hops, the longer you boil, the more bittering qualities you get. when you dryhop, obviously you're not boiling the hops.

So my question is...can I re-use the dryhop hops from my last batch as bittering hops for my next batch? If not, why?

Sounds crazy, but I have to ask.

This has been mentioned before. It seemed like a bit of a hot topic a year ago when hops were in short supply. I can't recall anybodies final report. I did just a brew where I re-used hops that I used the day before in my hop back as the bittering addition for a porter I brew regularly. The sample tasted pretty close to what I expected. I did use 1/8 oz more than normal (1/2 oz), not in an attempt to compenstate for any losses, but because I didn't feel like messing around with the sticky hops. They went straight from the hop back to the brew kettle.

I've been drinking, so this makes sense to me...

When boiling hops, the longer you boil, the more bittering qualities you get. when you dryhop, obviously you're not boiling the hops.

So my question is...can I re-use the dryhop hops from my last batch as bittering hops for my next batch? If not, why?

Sounds crazy, but I have to ask.

Yes you can. Just assume you loose about 20-25% of the bittering potential and compensate accordingly.

Back