re-starting an old starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I made a nice starter from a slap pack of 3787 and put a little extra in the fridge (culture tubes filled to the top ~15ml each). I tried to get it going again and did not get any activity even after a couple of days. Can anyone explain why this could have happened? I know I did not follow proper washing technique but have a difficult time understanding why the viability went to zero. Even if a few survivors should have got going after a few days. Just want to understand (and save a few bucks when I can).
Thanks!

TBH, not enough info. I just re-started an old starter of cultured yeast this week and it took a couple of days to get a 2L starter going, thing is, I was using a 3 month old 2L starter so I was surprised. Keep in mind most starters are made with "enough yeast to ferment a 5G batch" so if you have a small amount of yeast it will take some time.

Give it a few days and make sure you use yeast nutrient if you are underpitching even for a starter.

It came around, just had to wait longer. I think nutrients helped thanks.

Glad it helped, I didn't use nutrient the first year or two i brewed and I find it helps a lot more than I thought, especially for starters and bigger beers.

Back