Re-pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I waited 72 hours on my brew and it was still at original gravity, in hindsight I pitch too hot. So today I repitched today, is it the same standard time to wait for sign of fermentation? What should I look out for? Thanks guys!

I waited 72 hours on my brew and it was still at original gravity, in hindsight I pitch too hot. So today I repitched today, is it the same standard time to wait for sign of fermentation? What should I look out for? Thanks guys!

How hot exactly did you pitch the yeast at and what kind of yeast was it?? Dry or Liquid?? If the wort was hot enough when you pitched I suppose it might have turned it into a yeast nutrient which will feed the stuff you're about to pitch. What sort of temp have you had the fermenter sitting at since pitching?

Assuming you do need to go the additional yeast route it might be a good idea to try and aerate your wort then pitch your new yeast. If it's dry yeast try re-hydrating and pitching it as that very often has my fermentations kick off quite fast and although you don't need to aerate for dry yeast it won't hurt your brew to do it. Try to pitch rehydrated yeast at a temperature that is within 10*f of the wort temp, probably best around 68*f.

Yes, it could, take up to 72 hours before you see any action, or not, but if it doesn't take off quite quickly I'd be surprised

Originally I pitched at around 90-100 degrees which was my fault. Now the wort in a steady 70 degree spot and I pitched the yeast at about 80 degrees

Originally I pitched at around 90-100 degrees which was my fault. Now the wort in a steady 70 degree spot and I pitched the yeast at about 80 degrees

90 to 100 degs shouldn't kill the yeast. That's roughly the temp guidelines for re-hydrating it so maybe the first pitch was a non viable batch:confused:

Do you mean you've pitched a second time at 80 degrees and the fermenter is now sitting at 70?? If so that was maybe a little high but it should see some action happening soon. You might want to get a swamp cooler, or some other type of temp control, set up to cool the fermenter and brew down to a bit below 70 as once fermentation really takes off the temp of the brew is going to rise as much as 5 to 10*f above ambient. This will reduce the chance of producing fusel alcohols and getting some off flavours or smells in the finished product.

After the initial stages of fermentation start winding down, 3 to 6 days after taking off, the steady 70f temp will be ideal for the yeast's clean up period.

Yea another thing was that I had a smack pack and it didn't swell I think the yeast might have been dead, but I used dry yeast this time and made a starter

Ogri said:
90 to 100 degs shouldn't kill the yeast. That's roughly the temp guidelines for re-hydrating it so maybe the first pitch was a non viable batch:confused:

Do you mean you've pitched a second time at 80 degrees and the fermenter is now sitting at 70?? If so that was maybe a little high but it should see some action happening soon. You might want to get a swamp cooler, or some other type of temp control, set up to cool the fermenter and brew down to a bit below 70 as once fermentation really takes off the temp of the brew is going to rise as much as 5 to 10*f above ambient. This will reduce the chance of producing fusel alcohols and getting some off flavours or smells in the finished product.

After the initial stages of fermentation start winding down, 3 to 6 days after taking off, the steady 70f temp will be ideal for the yeast's clean up period.

Praise The Lord!!!!

image-1519519597.jpg

Watch your headspace, looks like your krausen is getting close to your airlock. You may want to look into a blowoff tube I it gets any closer.

Funny you say that haha I walked in today and she was juuuust spilling over. I quickly switched to a blow of tube and now it sounds like a jacuzzi in my closet.

Out of curiosity, how will the additional yeast impact the flavor and alcohol content of the final product?

Burningbushbrew said:
Praise The Lord!!!!

:ban::rockin::ban::rockin::ban:

Excellent. Now make sure you keep the temp of the brew slightly below 18*C for the next few days, if you can, then once the volcanic phase has wound down, after 5 or 6 days, you can let it get up to 20*c or a few degrees higher with no worries.

Out of curiosity, how will the additional yeast impact the flavor and alcohol content of the final product?

Good question.The OP said that the first yeast, a smack pack, didn't inflate so there's a good chance it wasn't viable, or was really low viability. Assuming that that's the case, I think the second yeast pitched will be the one that imposes its characteristics for phenols, esters and whatnot on the brew. Hopefully the newly pitched yeast will have the viability necessary to see the fermentation through to a well attenuated conclusion and it'll hit the upper parameters for ABV for fermentables used.

Back