Re-pitching lager yeast...without a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevans

Reaction score
Lately I've gotten into brewing lagers with the White Labs Mexican lager yeast. I would love to re-use my yeast but after two weeks of fermentation in the carboy and two to three weeks of lagering in the carboy - will that yeast still be good to use? I don't have a conical so I have no way of dropping yeast after fermentation. Would love to save a few bucks, not have to do a starter and getting use this yeast for several generations. I just don't know if its any good after all that lagering, etc.

You'll be fine. Am sure the yeast will be in great shape. All lagering does is put the yeast to sleep. Also I would use mrmalty calculator to estimate the amount of slurry needed to repitch.

agree with bratrules, the yeast will be in great shape. but you can still harvest some of the yeast before you lager, using an auto-siphon. jam it into the thick yeast cake and pump out 500 ml or whatever of slurry. of course there is a small risk of oxidizing and/or infecting your beer so be clean quick and careful.

Back