re-pitch yeast, or start over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm1217

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of wine with Lalvin 71b-1122. It's Day 3 and still nothing happening. I made a noob mistake by adding a campden tablet before pitching the yeast, and I'm assuming thats what stalled my fermentation. A guy had a winemaking series on youtube and he mentioned it being critical to add it, but after doing more research it looks like that was a major mistake. (If anything, should have waited 24 hours before pitching yeast)

Should I re-pitch, or dump it and start over? If the shocked yeast contributes to any off-flavors I'd rather start over. Otherwise if it really doesn't have much impact I'll just re-pitch. Your $0.02 is appreciated.

dm1217 said:
I just started my first batch of wine with Lalvin 71b-1122. It's Day 3 and still nothing happening. I made a noob mistake by adding a campden tablet before pitching the yeast, and I'm assuming thats what stalled my fermentation. A guy had a winemaking series on youtube and he mentioned it being critical to add it, but after doing more research it looks like that was a major mistake. (If anything, should have waited 24 hours before pitching yeast)

Should I re-pitch, or dump it and start over? If the shocked yeast contributes to any off-flavors I'd rather start over. Otherwise if it really doesn't have much impact I'll just re-pitch. Your $0.02 is appreciated.

I don't think the campden tablets stalled your yeast.

Check the temperature, should be 70F or so. Is your wine acidic and/or high gravity? Both will inhibit starting.

I don't think the campden tablets stalled your yeast.

Check the temperature, should be 70F or so. Is your wine acidic and/or high gravity? Both will inhibit starting.

Acidic - no idea...
OG - 1.094 @ 60F
Sitting in a 67-70F room.

Camden may have slowed down your yeast production. You just need to whip this up some to release SO2 and I would add in 1/8 tsp yeast energizer/gallon. If using a Carboy and do not have a wine whip like me then a metal coat hanger straitened out to make an elongated diamond and then bend the diamond in a couple spots works as a great wine whip. Just chuck it in a drill and start slowly at first but if no foaming up then let her rip for 2-3 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day and add the yeast energizer with the first whipping and probably add another 1/8th tsp per gallon yeast energizer each day for the next 3 days. It should start up in that time. 71b is a great yeast and it has never failed me with a little care.

Thanks, I'll report back how it goes. I guess it's better to leave out the metabisulfite early on, and just use it prior to backsweetening and bottling.

For wines using Camden is important to keep wild yeasts from effecting the brew and to kill off spoilage organisms. Just when you use Camden you usually wait 12 hours then pitch pectic enzyme if using and then another 12-24 hours from there pitch yeast. So continue to use it but give the must some time before pitching yeast.

Thanks, I'll report back how it goes. I guess it's better to leave out the metabisulfite early on, and just use it prior to backsweetening and bottling.

No, definitely not!

K-meta is important- it kills microbes, and is great as an antioxidant. It makes sure that the must is sanitary so your chosen yeast strain can ferment and not give you a wild yeast fermentation. You can leave it out when you're using canned fruit and stuff, that already has been preserved but with fresh fruit it's a must! (Get it, must? Winemaking joke. But a bad one. :p)

Edit- Arpolis beat me to it!

Not sure what method you are using to decide if you have lift off or not but do not wait on bubbles in airlock to indicate fermentation. You can simply place your ear near the surface and listen for a sizzle. Also, three days post yeast pitching you may notice a dip in your SG reading--a definite indicator.
71B has a temp range of 59-86F, and fermenting on the cooler end typically is a tad slower.

Out of curiosity what are you making? And what way were you using to determine if you had fermentation or not?

Out of curiosity what are you making? And what way were you using to determine if you had fermentation or not?

I added 2 Welch's fruit concentrates, and lots of granulated sugar till 1.094 OG.
Just based on visual, figured there should be some bubbling by now. Covered with a napkin/rubber band, with the intention of putting under airlock in secondary. There seems to be conflicting advice floating around about using airlock during primary..... Trial and error batch I guess :drunk:

I added 2 Welch's fruit concentrates, and lots of granulated sugar till 1.094 OG.
Just based on visual, figured there should be some bubbling by now. Covered with a napkin/rubber band, with the intention of putting under airlock in secondary. There seems to be conflicting advice floating around about using airlock during primary..... Trial and error batch I guess :drunk:

You are on the right path! Do you hear any sizzle at the surface, see fine bubbles almost like gnats landing on water?

I am a no airlock gal...I transfer from bucket to carboy when SG has dropped by 2/3 (or day 8-10 whichever comes first), and then airlock. Simply because yeast are aerobic/anaerobic and typically do better if they have access to oxygen up front. My experience anyway.

Day 4 and specific gravity hasn't changed at all and no bubbling. So I added more yeast...after capping the jug and giving it a shake it pressurized really fast, was about to burst. Slight sulfur smell fills the room now... Hmmm... maybe I jumped the gun a bit, I obviously don't know what the heck I'm doing at this point.

If there was some pressure build up when you shook it then I bet it was fermenting a little. As long as you pitched the same type of yeast I can't see this hurting you. Keep stiring/shaking up the must to keep gassing off that sulfer smell. It will be fine and running smooth soon.

Latest posts

Back