re hydrating dry yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iabowhntr

Reaction score
I have a question about it ... almost all the videos I have watched just show them spreading the packet of dry yeast on top ... why do you re hydrate is it just to give it a better start? Is there a noticeable difference between re hydrate and just pitching it in dry?

I read the FAQ pinned to the top I just didn't understand the real advantage or purpose to it?

Steve

The manufacturer recommends rehydration on the technical data sheet for Fermentis yeasts. I’ve read explanations that hydrating with wort kills about half the yeast cells. If you think about it the cell can’t normally be plump full of sugar water...it should be full of physiologically balanced fluid and then take in sugar from the medium at a controlled rate as it is able to consume. Makes sense to me and so I rehydrate per manufacturers instructions.

I have a question about it ... almost all the videos I have watched just show them spreading the packet of dry yeast on top ... why do you re hydrate is it just to give it a better start? Is there a noticeable difference between re hydrate and just pitching it in dry?

I read the FAQ pinned to the top I just didn't understand the real advantage or purpose to it?

Steve

Supposedly there is an ideal pitch rate for making the best beer. Rehydrating the dry yeast will get you closer to that value as up to 50% of the yeast cells may die if dumped directly into the wort as they can't regulate the uptake of water with the sugars in it.

Yeast cells multiply in wort if given the right conditions. Most of those conditions are already present in wort but wort lacks the oxygen needed for the replication. Aerating the wort introduces this oxygen.

Now we come to the major difference as I see it. With the proper pitch rate, the yeast do not need to propagate nearly as much so the lag time will be shortened. How much shorter? About the time it takes for the yeast to double in numbers which is not long as they multiply pretty quickly. I'd make beer both ways, sprinkling the dry yeast on top of the foam from aerating the wort and by rehydrating. I don't notice much difference in my beers. Perhaps I'm not as discriminating in my taste as some.

Please note that I am not a scientist and I don't study yeast nor am I a beer judge.

Fermentis advises that W-34/70 lager yeast should be rehydrated in 70 to 77 degree F. water, and for SO-4 ale yeast they advise 77-84 degrees F.

Also read and seen in many posts on this platform that dry yeast is fine without rehydration provided you agitate the wort before introducing yeast

I'm not an expert just passing along info

I've never rehydrated dry yeast and do just fine

This is one of those preferences like secondary fermentation or sparge method

Do what makes you the best beer and what makes you comfortable

Not to hi-jack but what about doing a starter or a stirred starter for dry yeast? I always do a starter with liquid yeast and I will be getting dry yeast soon and it will be my first time. I know it may be unnecessary but I will be pitching it into a high gravity bear 1.080+ and I would rather start it off strong.

Yes you could make a starter if you dont have enought dry yeast...or considering dry yeast isnt that expensive, just buy some more.

Brulosophy has done a dry yeast pitch vs rehydration, if i remember correcly. Beers came out close enought that no one realy could notice the difference. There are also lots of guys who just pitch yeast straight without rehydration with no issues.

I still rehydrate, mainly because its not that much more effort. After spending hours sparging, boiling and cooling its only one extra dirty cup and waiting 30min while I am cleaning, before I pitch.

Seems most say pitching straigh you lose more yeast cells, so if you have a lot of dry yeast it will probably not lead to any issues. Im guessing, if you undering pitching and not rehydrating, the yeast will have to work a lot harder at the start and increase your chance of off flavours.

Not to hi-jack but what about doing a starter or a stirred starter for dry yeast? I always do a starter with liquid yeast and I will be getting dry yeast soon and it will be my first time. I know it may be unnecessary but I will be pitching it into a high gravity bear 1.080+ and I would rather start it off strong.

You can do a starter with dry yeast to propagate more cells. The yeast needs to be rehydrated first. This basically turns the dry yeast to liquid yeast. Like liquid yeast the starter should be a wort of 1.036 to 1.040 with nutrients added to replace the nutrients contained in the dry yeast but lost during the rehydration.

One of the great things about brewing is we can all pick and choose the things we like to do, whether it's needed or not(in most cases), we are creatures of habit and end up doing what makes us most comfortable

Me, I like to simplify things so I don't rehydrate or use liquid yeast

But that doesn't mean it right or wrong, just my style

Pick a method and stick to it so you stay consistent in your process and know what to expect

When it's all said and done, consistency is the one thing we need to achieve

Back