Re-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a relativity small Belgian Dark beer on 11/11. Mashed a little high at 155 and ended up with an OG of 1.062. I pitched a healthy starter of Wyeast 3787 and it took right off. Fermentation was normal and about 3 weeks later there was no visible krausen. I started checking gravity and it was 1.016 over 3 days. This yeast was done. I was a little upset because I was hoping for a much lower number (despite my highish mash temp). My thoughts were to warm up the carboy and give it a few more weeks. So I did that 2 weeks ago. Now I have a lot of activity in the airlock (I know, I know) and a 1/4 of beautiful krausen on the top. I tasted it and it was fine, and the gravity is inching its way down.

Is there any problem with this? Has anyone had this happen to them and it resulted in a bad beer? Any off flavors?

Thanks!
-Mike

i had a similar issue a long time ago-it isnt ideal but shouldnt make a more than minimal difference

Back