re carbonating beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankjr

Reaction score
im on batch #7 which was a little more than 5 gal (added water in the carboy before adding the wort) and i didnt have as much boil off as expected. well i added 3/4 cup of corn sugar before bottling, and it still seems a lil flat. is there any way to fix this or just drink semi flat beer?

No reason you should not have gotten decent carbonation. What kind of yeast, how long ago did you bottle, and what temp have the bottles been at ?

i want to say i used safale 05... i bottled 12 days ago, but i just wanted to check on it because its friday night and a good reason to have a beer! temp has been anywhere from 70-73. the only thing i can think of is that my swingtop seals need to be replaced, but ive only had 3 batches in em!

i've had beers fully carb in 4 days, others 4 weeks. I'd say let it sit longer before adding thing..

How longer are you waiting before expecting you beer to be carbed?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

it has a slight tssssst when opened, but not a whole lot, and when i pour it, the head is scarce, it has to be the seals.

it has a slight tssssst when opened, but not a whole lot, and when i pour it, the head is scarce, it has to be the seals.

No, the seals are fine. It's just about 10 days or so too early, especially if the temperature they are being stored at is under 72 degrees.

Put them someplace warm (on top of the fridge?) and check them at day 21.

they are on top of there fridge per yoopers advice ... say ya to da up eh? where ya from bud

they are on top of there fridge per yoopers advice ... say ya to da up eh? where ya from bud

I live in the central UP, about 150 miles NW of Green Bay.

But wait. I didn't know you spoke Yooper! Let me rephrase!

Yah der hey. We live in da middling part of da UP doncha know. It's cold dere, you betcha!

But I am currently staying in Rockport, Texas. Which is even colder at this moment than Green Bay. I find that more than a little irritating! We don't have a furnace here, and the house (poorly insulated and on the water) was 45 degrees inside this morning. I have had my summer weight long johns on all week.

I have had my summer weight long johns on all week.

Totally :off: but isn't "summer weight long johns" an oxymoron?

Then again, here in Oregon we say it only rains twice a week, from Monday till Thursday and from Friday till Sunday.

Back