Re-bottling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harguf

Reaction score
Maybe this question is better suited for the bottling forum instead of the mead forum.

I've done some beer brewing, but recently I've gotten into mead. I bottled my first batch after letting it sit in the secondary fermenter for a month and not seeing anymore fermentation.

20+ corked bottles later I put them out in the cold garage and forget about them for a couple of months.

Last week I go out there thinking I might pop one open and see how it tastes. I notice though a thin layer of lees in each bottle.

Obviously I bottled the mead too soon. I should have racked it a few more times. Should I pop the bottles and rack them into a carboy or maybe another set of botttles? There was no built up air pressure in the one bottle I popped, so I don't think there's any fermentation still going on. The mead is super clear. I can read through the dark amber liquid.

Thanks. I got a good suggestion from the mead forum that I should take another FG reading. I'll do that tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back