Rauchbier with ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy15

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers. I’m looking to make my first Rauchbier. From reading about it, I understand it’s typically a lager using a lager yeast. I was hoping to make it using an ale yeast but keeping that lager taste to it. I do a temp controlled fermentation chamber but this is brew season and don’t want to occupy it with a lager. Thanks to all for your advice!

Sure, it's your beer, do what you want. Just use something clean like a Kolsch strain or even one of the Chico varieties would be okay. With that said, since you have temp control, why not just use a lager strain? There's no law that says you have to lager for x amount of weeks before you package it. My lagers go from primary to keg in about 2.5-3 weeks and then usually put right on a tap where they can lager until the keg kicks. I don't know if you keg or bottle, but lagering in the bottle is not unheard of.

Sure, it's your beer, do what you want. Just use something clean like a Kolsch strain or even one of the Chico varieties would be okay. With that said, since you have temp control, why not just use a lager strain? There's no law that says you have to lager for x amount of weeks before you package it. My lagers go from primary to keg in about 2.5-3 weeks and then usually put right on a tap where they can lager until the keg kicks. I don't know if you keg or bottle, but lagering in the bottle is not unheard of.

Thanks for the response. I’ve never done a lager so didn’t know that it could be done so fast. I️ do have an extra keg it could go into. What steps/time would you suggest for me to use if I️ go with a German lager yeast, if you don’t mind.

Use the Franconia dark lager yeast from TYB. You can use Tasty's quick lager method.

My lager process is typically as follows...

1) Primary fermentation 5-7 days @ 52°F
2) D-rest 3-5 days @ 65°F ambient (set ambient temp in ferm chamber to 65° and allow beer temp to slowly rise on its own)
3) Gravity reading at end of D-rest; if at expected FG, continue to step 4
4) Cold crash 5-7 days @ 32° ambient (same as above, set temp in ferm chamber to 32° and let beer temp slowly drop over 24-36 hours or so)
5) Keg and tap (use gelatin if you want it to clear a bit faster).

For the past couple years, the only lager strain I've been using is Wy2124, which is a German strain, though they're all pretty similar.

As it happens, I have a Rauchbier in the fermenter right now. I brewed it last Thursday evening, pitched yeast Friday AM and started the D-rest this morning (6 days post-pitch). I expect to begin the cold crash Monday evening (4.5 days after starting D-rest - will add gelatin to fermenter about 48 hours later) and will keg it exactly one week after starting the cold crash to have on tap and carbonated in time for Thanksgiving.

Hello fellow brewers. I’m looking to make my first Rauchbier. From reading about it, I understand it’s typically a lager using a lager yeast. I was hoping to make it using an ale yeast but keeping that lager taste to it. I do a temp controlled fermentation chamber but this is brew season and don’t want to occupy it with a lager. Thanks to all for your advice!

If you have a fermentation chamber go get 2 packets of Saflager W-34/70 dry yeast, and ferment at 55-57 degrees, raise to 68 at end of fermentation for a D-rest (although i've never tasted it before the rest). I've used that yeast extensively and treat it just like you would US-05 - EASY.

US-05/Kolsch strains simply don't have the transparent and clean profile the lager strains do.

Go for it!

i really appreciate everyone’s feedback and help! i plan on brewing it this coming weekend so I’ll be sure to let everyone know how it went. Thank you again!!!!

Latest posts

Back