Raspberry Wheat - How long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calimainer

Reaction score
I'm making a raspberry wheat, which I also done in the primary. I got a regular UFO wheat clone and I'm adding frozen raspberries to the secondary. Would 5# be enough and how long would you recommend leaving them in for? (5.5 gallon batch)
I had a UFO raspberry wheat last weekend and it tasted like a wine cooler more than a flavored beer.
I want my beer to have hints of raspberry, but I want the beer flavor to be the dominant flavor.
Thanks in advance for the tips.

Add 2 1/2 lbs to secondary take hydrometer reading (taste) wait a week check again add more if you need to. 5 lbs to my taste is wine cooler like wife likes it though.

Thanks beaksnbeer. Another thing I just thought of: what if the taste is right before the sugars ferment out?
Should I transfer to secondary to avoid bottle bombs or over flavoring, or should the 2 1/4# (what I ended up adding because of package size) of raspberries just be left until it ferments out?

I would let the yeast finish you can always back sweeten with a non fermentable if you check the wine section there is a list to add I keg everything so I don't worry about bottle bombs

Back