Rant about a noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, he not only trolled you, he got you to go online and get others to abuse you as well!

I say, in the absence of any data to suggest otherwise, his beer is superior to yours and he deserves his victory lap.

I been playing pool for a looooong time. I still suck at it. It's not inconceivable that some kid who's never played before could kick my ass in his first game.

If it's going to cause you so much upset, you should throw in the towel and sell him all your gear.

Come on the new brewer you should be posting on this thread.

I think he came here hoping for a hug. Seriously dude. . . If this kind of thing gets you fired up, how the hell do you function in real life?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

I been playing pool for a looooong time. I still suck at it. It's not inconceivable that some kid who's never played before could kick my ass in his first game.

Haha. I could say the same about tennis and golf. Man, you'd think I'd get better.

To the OP, chillax. I'd play along and tell him his beer rocks and you are happy about it; doesn't matter what the facts are. Happy is where you want to be.

I'm the opposite, most of my batches I think it could use a tad more roastiness or a tad less sweetness,etc. I believe it's the creators curse, opposite of ugly baby syndrome.

I have to agree. Most homebrewers I know are their own worst critic. I've made beers that I really loved and have scored well in comps but still weren't exactly what I thought they could be.

The sickest possible burn:

Step 1. Go to his house to "sample" the beer.
Step 2. Show up with your other brewer friends.
Step 3. Drink all the beer.
Step 4. Leave him this piece of advice: "Congrats on your success! There are some disadvantages to being the best, though. Looking forward to the next batch!"

Disclaimer: This is 100% facetious. I do not condone being a dick. Just worry about your own beer and be glad your friend is enjoying his.

You should bang his wife/girlfriend, let his dog out of the yard, urinate in his kegs and shakeup all his bottles. That will teach him.

I wasn't there, nor do I know the intent of the offending comment, but it sounds like a few of my hiking buddies poking fun because they are excited. I am on brew three and know my beer isn't better than anyone's, but I enjoy the process, and that excites me.

To answer the question if his beer is better than mine. The first batch he brewed it was with me on my equipment and we both brewed the same batch using the same grain, hops, yeast and mash/brew schedule but I was there the entire time holding his hand. They turned out the same as they should have. His second batch was a BIAB that he wanted to do on his own equipment and I was there but I didn't do a lot as he wanted to give it a shot on his own. I did have to remind him of a few things along the way but mostly it was his. He still used my recipie. The only change was the BIAB and he used his city water insted of my well water. He isn't on the forum so I haven't been "trolled" by him. I'm over it and was from the start. I'm the one with 5 competition wins and I know my beer is good.

Friendship before pride...

Friendship doesn't care about how many medals you have or whose recipe was used. Pride does. Deep cleansing breath, followed by a beer or 4.

Friendship before pride...

Friendship doesn't care about how many medals you have or whose recipe was used. Pride does. Deep cleansing breath, followed by a beer or 4.

+1 he smack-talked you.

Keep it a friendly rivalry and it will allow you both to brew better....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How much more than "a decade and a half" have you been brewing? Because by my math a decade and a half ago was 1999, when you claim to have won your first competition.

So you were winning competitions within the first few years of brewing, and your upset that he thinks he's going to do the same?

If it was me I'd encourage him to enter, I'd judge his beer fairly, congratulate him on a job well done if he does well, and take prime in having taught him well.

But that's just me.

How much more than "a decade and a half" have you been brewing? Because by my math a decade and a half ago was 1999, when you claim to have won your first competition.

So you were winning competitions within the first few years of brewing, and your upset that he thinks he's going to do the same?

If it was me I'd encourage him to enter, I'd judge his beer fairly, congratulate him on a job well done if he does well, and take prime in having taught him well.

But that's just me.

Brewed my first batch in 1996 but didn't start serious all grain till 1998. Not that extract brewers are not serious as some of the best brews I've had have been extract. (With the sensitivity of some in this group I felt the need to clarify "serious") So yes, I won pretty early in my brewing hobby. I've entered that same recipe in competitions since then and didn't even place. I'm not on an electric system so my consistency is based on my mood and how much I drink while brewing.

I'm won't be upset if he wins a competition soon. My OP was merely regarding the hubris of a brewer with two batches under his belt. I'm sure there are many members on this forum that have been brewing shorter than I have that will blow me out of the water as I still make mistakes. Heck, I'm having a hard time killing a keg of SMaSH I brewed right now because I think it sucks. My IPL on the other hand is off the hook but I force myself to drink two SMaSH before I have an IPL. I know what I did wrong and I will change it next time.

Man...you dont have to justify anything to us...this is not about how many ribbons you have hanging in your brew hall...I am willing to bet the guy was just jerking your chain trying to get under your skin a bit...and he clearly has. When friends banter each other...we really should get over ourselves and laugh with them. Now when chicks do this kinda thing...they start pulling each others hair...roll around on the ground...and I video tape it all!!!

Brewed my first batch in 1996 but didn't start serious all grain till 1998. Not that extract brewers are not serious as some of the best brews I've had have been extract. (With the sensitivity of some in this group I felt the need to clarify "serious") So yes, I won pretty early in my brewing hobby. I've entered that same recipe in competitions since then and didn't even place. I'm not on an electric system so my consistency is based on my mood and how much I drink while brewing.

I'm won't be upset if he wins a competition soon. My OP was merely regarding the hubris of a brewer with two batches under his belt. I'm sure there are many members on this forum that have been brewing shorter than I have that will blow me out of the water as I still make mistakes. Heck, I'm having a hard time killing a keg of SMaSH I brewed right now because I think it sucks. My IPL on the other hand is off the hook but I force myself to drink two SMaSH before I have an IPL. I know what I did wrong and I will change it next time.

How's about you post the IPL recipe so we can see for ourself? Besides, I've been looking to brew one and am looking for a good recipe.

Sounds like friendly BS. If he continues Challenge him to a friendly competition at your local beer club meeting. Remember Unless you are doing this to make a living it is all in fun. Don't ruin a friendship over a little bravado.

Jesus Christ, this is the kind of **** that drives me crazy. Not anything with what the OP posted but some of the responses on here. Holy crap, what a bunch of dicks. Not all of you, but you know who I am talking about.

Op, it could be worse. You could have a buddy that just started brewing and refuses to buy a book, refuses to come over and learn, refuses to listen to any advice whatsoever, then texts you at 11 Pm to ask **** like "I can't get all of the malt extract out of the bag, there is about an ounce left. Will this ruin my beer?" and "Do I need to tell the guys at the homebrew shop to make sure they don't pour out the yeast from the bottle" and "I know you said not to add my yeast until it is cool enough to ferment, but is 120 degrees ok?"

just wondering how the op is doing...

Sent from my iphone using home brew

:d

beehive.png

Jesus Christ, this is the kind of **** that drives me crazy. Not anything with what the OP posted but some of the responses on here. Holy crap, what a bunch of dicks. Not all of you, but you know who I am talking about.

Op, it could be worse. You could have a buddy that just started brewing and refuses to buy a book, refuses to come over and learn, refuses to listen to any advice whatsoever, then texts you at 11 Pm to ask **** like "I can't get all of the malt extract out of the bag, there is about an ounce left. Will this ruin my beer?" and "Do I need to tell the guys at the homebrew shop to make sure they don't pour out the yeast from the bottle" and "I know you said not to add my yeast until it is cool enough to ferment, but is 120 degrees ok?"

Man, i'm confused. Was I not supposed to start that way? PS its been 3 days, and I know you said to let it ferment 3 weeks, but I put it in the oven at 250 and I think it's done fermenting. Will rack to secondary tomorrow then tertiary 12 minutes later.

... (With the sensitivity of some in this group I felt the need to clarify "serious") ...
Ummmm. was it not you that started this whole thread about your mate giving you some s**t and not knowing how to take it??? :D
Just wondering how the OP is doing...

I want to know how the freind is going, is he entering the comp? Has he had to eat any humble pie yet?

Man, i'm confused. Was I not supposed to start that way? PS its been 3 days, and I know you said to let it ferment 3 weeks, but I put it in the oven at 250 and I think it's done fermenting. Will rack to secondary tomorrow then tertiary 12 minutes later.

If you really want an optimum beer, you'll see a major difference on the fifth racking, which should of course occur no later than 5 days from pitching.

If you really want an optimum beer, you'll see a major difference on the fifth racking, which should of course occur no later than 5 days from pitching.

When I dump it into the sink then rack it back into the carboy, is that one racking or two?

Invite the kid to come over with a few of his brews. Take one into another room, pour it and pour one of yours. Bring the two glasses to him and have him do a blind taste test.

Then have him do the same with you. He may have beginner's luck and have made a dynamite beer, or he could just be deluded with a mediocre one.

No matter the outcome, relax, drink some brews, hang out and talk brewing.

I think that with all of the resources current newbs have, they can make great beer with only a few batches under their belt. This forum alone is a great source of information, which you did not have 15 years ago. The real sign of a good brewer is consistently making the same quality batch after batch.

/QUOTE]

LOL, if you can't take a little ball busting, maybe knitting is a more suitable hobby...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

/QUOTE]

LOL, if you can't take a little ball busting, maybe knitting is a more suitable hobby...

Knitters can get nasty too. And they have big, sharp needles! ;)

/QUOTE]

Oh I can take it. But I have to admit, there is something about this forum that is incredibly unfriendly at times. Guy comes on here and posts something. Most of the people give him a little ribbing. Some people are downright rude. Why? Because it is easy to be an ******* when hiding behind your keyboard.

I tend to have a rule of thumb. If I won't say it to your face, I won't say it online. I can be a major ******* at times. But I am the same ******* in person as online. What I see in this thread and far too often on this site, is juvenile attemps to be clever while being a complete dick.

Like I said, a little ball busting is fine. And in this case I think perfectly warranted. But some of these comments are just plain *****y.

It's funny that we drifted to knitting. I was recently thinking that every niche group in the world of forums has their own hot buttons. I know that's true for the other forums I visit.

I'm going to do some checking just for fun. I'm going to try to find the most non controversial pastimes I can and identify the things that they get stupid over.

Needlepoint
Beenie baby collecting
Hummel figurines
croquet

"Acrylic yarn!! that's for idiots, you might as well use vines"
I'll start a new thread.

It's funny that we drifted to knitting. I was recently thinking that every niche group in the world of forums has their own hot buttons. I know that's true for the other forums I visit.

I'm going to do some checking just for fun. I'm going to try to find the most non controversial pastimes I can and identify the things that they get stupid over.

Needlepoint
Beenie baby collecting
Hummel figurines
croquet

I'll start a new thread.

I knoew a guy that did needlepoint... of fighter jets! It was odd?????

Oh I can take it. But I have to admit, there is something about this forum that is incredibly unfriendly at times. Guy comes on here and posts something. Most of the people give him a little ribbing. Some people are downright rude. Why? Because it is easy to be an ******* when hiding behind your keyboard.

I tend to have a rule of thumb. If I won't say it to your face, I won't say it online. I can be a major ******* at times. But I am the same ******* in person as online. What I see in this thread and far too often on this site, is juvenile attemps to be clever while being a complete dick.

Like I said, a little ball busting is fine. And in this case I think perfectly warranted. But some of these comments are just plain *****y.

I can tell you right now, if you came to me--a complete stranger--with the sob story in the original post, I would tell you to put your big girl panties on because I would believe you couldn't possibly be serious.

Needlepoint
Beenie baby collecting
Hummel figurines
croquet

I'll start a new thread.
I would add gardening too!

I can tell you right now, if you came to me--a complete stranger--with the sob story in the original post, I would tell you to put your big girl panties on because I would believe you couldn't possibly be serious.

This. . .a thousand times this. When I read the first post I guessed you were 14 then I realized as a home brewer that was unlikely.

Keyboard or not I say what I think. I thought OP was either trolling or just socially inept.

Guys bust each other's balls. It's just life. Learn to hack it because there's a helluva lot worse than a bunch of keyboard commandos out there just waiting steal your soul...

Back