Ranger Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasmcdaniel9

Reaction score
Hey guys i just started brewing about a month ago and my first brew that came with the kit turned out pretty good. But now i am in the process of conditioning my NBB ranger clone its been in the bottles for a little over a week now so i figured i would try one it has a caramel taste i followed the instructions to the t but the only thing im supposed to condition for 6 weeks will the caramel taste go away after i wait longer or no its missing the hoppy aroma also am i doing something wrong :confused:

Can you give a little more information as to the recipe and your process? That may help in figuring out why the beer doesn't taste like you expected it to.

Can you give a little more information as to the recipe and your process? That may help in figuring out why the beer doesn't taste like you expected it to.

^^This^^
Without details there's no way to determine what characteristics your beer should have had or why it doesn't.

Here is the recipe that they gave me if you cant see it ill type it in

IMG_20160128_181513303.jpg

If the hop bitterness isn't pulling through it's possible your boil volume was too low and/or your boil gravity was too high for hop isomerization. That would explain unbalanced caramel flavors - "caramelization".

Caramelization (British English: caramelisation) is the browning of sugar, a process used extensively in cooking for the resulting nutty flavor and brown color. As the process occurs, volatile chemicals are released, producing the characteristic caramel flavor.

I can't remember if Ranger is an American or Belgian style IPA? I find it interesting that US-05 is circled. For a Belgian style IPA you would want a yeast strain with Belgian characteristics.

I'm new to brewing myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. More experienced brewers will correct me I'm sure.

Beer does certainly change as it ages in the bottle. I've come to these forums a few times, ready to ask a similar question a few times as I've done different brews.

I think the best advice that you'll see on many other threads around here applies: just wait, be patient. Especially if the recipe says to condition for several weeks.

I do find it interesting that the recipe said to stir the beer to oxygenate it after it has fermented a few days, though. That seems counter intuitive, and more so for an IPA.

I'm wondering if you're possibly mistaking off flavors from oxidation as a caramel flavor. I know before I was familiar with it I mistook that flavor for a weird dark sweetness a few times.

I'm also curious as to the recipe. It seems like every clone recipe I've seen has a fair amount of sugar in it to really dry the beer out.

Ill let it set the rest of the weeks and see i was just anxious to try it but ill let you know the out come of it thanks for the reply man

ill definitely try it with all grain since i have done the extract recipe may be it will be better im new to this ill have beer out the ass .lol thanks for the recipe ill try it in a few weeks

Latest posts

Back