Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a random picture?
random?.JPG

I have that tree in my front yard!

We did take a trip in August of 2010 and saw lots of trees from around Mt. Rainier south to around San Francisco, but I swear that the giant sequoia in my picture was from our February, 2010, trip to New Zealand. Queensland Gardens. Beautiful place. Not that your front yard's bad. :D

This shot of a lifetime is from another friend and flyfishing person, living in Oregon. He was on a sea kayak camping trip up in the American San Juan islands when one of these beeg feesh went right under him, joined up with the other, then turned back and porpoised across his bow.
I might have crapped my drysuit :D

1612834853423.jpeg

40 knots of airspeed would explain how relatively intact that fuselage ended up :)

So, I'm not a pilot, but given the conditions, was there a void in the standard training manual that led to what apparently was an avoidable encounter with said tree?

I am a pilot and was a partner in an earlier, but very similar, version of that airplane for about a dozen years. While it’s true that the aircraft flight manual (a 50 cent term for the owner’s manual) doesn’t require the use of carb heat when reducing power to idle, most instructors I know teach the use of carb heat when closing the throttle. We always used carb heat when reducing power because we were taught that it was advisable, whether the book required it or not.

I think every instructor I’ve ever flown with has been both an agricultural pilot and an aircraft mechanic. Those types tend to teach people to fly in the real world which is a place where common sense suggests a belt and suspenders approach might be advisable regardless of what the book says. The late Ernie Gann, a WW II transport pilot who made his experiences the basis for a string of aviation-themed best selling novels, wrote that “Rulebooks are made of paper. They will not cushion the sudden meeting of metal and stone”.

So, yeah. The guy who ended up in the tree might have made it to his karate lesson on time if he’d been trained differently.

Latest posts

Back