Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live under one of the approaches to SFO, about the place they start the initial slow down and it has been very noticeable how few flights there are lately.
Welp, I'm still in LA. Sometime between the time I left Tucson, and when I went to check in to my flight to Auckland, New Zealand cancelled all visas. Our travel agent is scrambling to work something out, but for now, I'm headed back to Tucson this afternoon, nothing likely to happen for at least a few days. At least we got the tickets refunded (~12k each)!!

Welp, I'm still in LA. Sometime between the time I left Tucson, and when I went to check in to my flight to Auckland, New Zealand cancelled all visas. Our travel agent is scrambling to work something out, but for now, I'm headed back to Tucson this afternoon, nothing likely to happen for at least a few days. At least we got the tickets refunded (~12k each)!!

What? We cancelled all non resident Visas in March. Try again in 2021 maybe.

What? We cancelled all non resident Visas in March. Try again in 2021 maybe.
No, what we had was a transit visa, landing in Auckland, then another flight to Brisbane. It was all good 3 days ago, but was cancelled sometime yesterday. We only got the Aussie visa under "crucial infrastructure" considerations.

Last edited:
Right now, our only option is to fly into Sidney, do a 14 day quarantine there, then fly to Brisbane, and do another 14 day quarantine there. These numbers do not compute into a profitable venture!

srbdrag.jpg

Considering his island got totally whammed by two successive hurricanes he may not have found his old wardrobe :D
Very true! I have never been on Necker Island, but I've seen it from Bitter End on Virgin Gorda. The BVIs got hammered by the hurricanes for sure, including White Bay on Jost Van Dyke, where Soggy Dollar Bar is and where that photo was taken.

one of only a few commercial 'cattle car outfitted' jets I've yet to cruise on (787, A350, A380, and several Tupolev models) Looking forward to the day when I can add these to my list.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have know early on that I'd fly so often to so many places - I'd have kept a log of all the brands/models/hull numbers that I've ridden. I'm sure it'd be interesting to see how many times I rode a specific hull TATL and/or TPAC

I remember traveling to Australia with my wife and & 7 yr old daughter 13 yrs ago on New Years Day. About midnight on New Years Day I wake up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and we're half way from LA to Sydney. The turbulence is pretty bad. My daugther looks over at me standing up in her chair, saying "Hey Dad", as if she is watching an early morning showing of Ron Hazelton's projects. In a frantic I buckle her back up in her seat ( she was 7 yrs old). Anyway love the trips to NZ & AU. Those countries are worth the hassle.

one of only a few commercial 'cattle car outfitted' jets I've yet to cruise on (787, A350, A380, and several Tupolev models) Looking forward to the day when I can add these to my list.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have know early on that I'd fly so often to so many places - I'd have kept a log of all the brands/models/hull numbers that I've ridden. I'm sure it'd be interesting to see how many times I rode a specific hull TATL and/or TPAC
Yeah we were originally scheduled to fly LAX to Auckland To Brisbane on an ANZ 787, I still have not flown on one of them.

I do keep track of aircraft I've worked on in the past, and every so often, get a repeat customer.

And don't hold your breath on the A380, many customers are now cancelling orders. Pretty expensive if you can't fill it up.

Yeah, the A380 is toast. C19 just accelerated its death plunge. I think the line is actually EOL already due to Emirates cancelling out their last orders - I know it was scheduled to stop by 2021 even with those orders maintained.

Anyway...how did you access all those awesome cam shots? Is that seat back display stuff or something else?

Cheers!

Yeah, the A380 is toast. C19 just accelerated its death plunge. I think the line is actually EOL already due to Emirates cancelling out their last orders - I know it was scheduled to stop by 2021 even with those orders maintained.

Anyway...how did you access all those awesome cam shots? Is that seat back display stuff or something else?

Cheers!
Yep. Triple 7 has the same. On cargo versions, they even have cameras to look at the outside of the cargo door before opening to ensure clearance. Another unique one on the 777 is a camera to look at the main landing gear, because on the 777 you can actually steer the mains.

All the passenger triple 7's I've flown on have 3 cameras available on seat back, top of vertical looking forward, forward belly looking forward, and belly looking straight down.

For a kinda weird feeling, watch the nose gear when landing. The camera is mounted low, but you can't see the belly skin. Then glance out the window, and see the runway from about 6 feet higher, and you'll get a little vertigo.

Sorry about the long post, I'm on quarantine (house arrest) in my hotel room, and already going stir crazy!!

A380 was the best flight I've ever had. It had the belly, tail, and cockpit cams. 787 was meh but I blame Virgin seat layout for that.

There have only been two times I've flown on planes I had a part in building. Both 747-400, both owned by Lufthansa, both very good flights even though the planes were 20+ years old.

It will be a sad day when the 747 passenger stops production.

A380 was the best flight I've ever had. It had the belly, tail, and cockpit cams. 787 was meh but I blame Virgin seat layout for that.

There have only been two times I've flown on planes I had a part in building. Both 747-400, both owned by Lufthansa, both very good flights even though the planes were 20+ years old.

It will be a sad day when the 747 passenger stops production.
I thought the only 747's being built now are freighters. Most airlines that flew them have retired them.

Brew on :mug:

Flew out to Fiji a couple years ago to replace the leading edge on the inboard trailing edge flap. About 2 hours after I was done, I flew the same plane back to LAX. (This was on a Air Pacific 747-400).
It's been said that one way to insure excellent aircraft maintenance is to make sure the mechanic flies on the first flight post-maintenance. ;)

I thought the only 747's being built now are freighters. Most airlines that flew them have retired them.

I've been mostly retired for about 3 years now. When I left that was mostly the case (freighters) but IIRC there were still a few passenger models in the 747 skyline. I hope there were anyway. I was on the 767 when I left.

I am grateful that I was able to fly on the -400's in 2018. You are correct, there is no telling how long it will be until they aren't flying anymore. They just keep getting older.

Back