Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
towbike.jpg

Thinking about expanding to the towing business :D

Typical habitat for a BMW. I say that as a bimmerphile; currently working on pulling the head for rebuilding . . . 218k miles:

1jth.jpg

Typical habitat for a BMW. I say that as a bimmerphile; currently working on pulling the head for rebuilding . . . 218k miles:

1jth.jpg

So, brewing isn't expensive enough? My dad had a 328i. At 13k miles it needed a new water pump, seals to match and a battery.
I coin it as, if you want to buy a $50k car, buy a $27k BMW.

A)Is that the WWE logo?
B)this had to come off of 4chan, because it's offensive and stupid.

So, brewing isn't expensive enough? My dad had a 328i. At 13k miles it needed a new water pump, seals to match and a battery.
I coin it as, if you want to buy a $50k car, buy a $27k BMW.

Haha, Big Money Waste, Bring My Wallet, Burn My Wealth, etc etc is accurate. Ive bought all of mine used, luckily I do my own maintenance, so that really help to keep costs down. Parts on these old BMWs are getting quite expensive and sometimes quite hard to source. The water pump on my 91 M5 went poof at 25k miles, but BMW produced the impeller in plastic.

Yes, that is a S38B36 in my 91 M5. I have a few VAC internals in the engine and run a D'Sylva chip, current output is 357 bhp @7100RPM. Its going back to VAC for a head rebuild (its got 150k miles on previous), so Im hoping to get a few more ponies out to 380hp range with a few other modifications. I also have an 88 M5 with the S38B35:

416-378.jpg

Beautiful! E28 M5s are amazing vehicles, and the E34 only improved on them. Excellent taste in beamers!
That B36 sounds like a beast. Both of those are on my short list...
Cheers!

Beautiful! E28 M5s are amazing vehicles, and the E34 only improved on them. Excellent taste in beamers!
That B36 sounds like a beast. Both of those are on my short list...
Cheers!

Thanks. The E28 was my first M and also the only car Ive owned that has appreciated. Its not as fast as the E34 M5, but it is more fun to drive. People rarely know what either of those cars are, someone once accused me of putting a M5 badge on an old BMW :D Next car on the list is an E24 M6 and if I can't find one in Royal Blue on black interior, Ill just find a 633/635 and make my own M6 clone. Ill shove a S38B38 with 390bhp@6900 or a blown M50.

Fivers went down the toidy with the E39...

I think if there is a series that has plummeted, it is the 7er. E38 was the high-water mark and Bangle seriously styled the E65 like ass and BMW engineered it to break in seconds after delivery. What a total piece. The only BMW more unreliable is the E63/E64 6 from the mid 2000s.

my annual warning: be safe this Halloween
DON'T use a real candle in your jack-o-lantern

this happened right across the parking lot from my sister's house, Halloween about 20 years ago

10710332_10205103719936363_1303238041197177878_o.jpg

Never understood the aversion to Carp here. Some say "It's disgusting because it is a bottom feeder! Do you have any catfish instead?" others say it's too boney and too much work to eat.

Several Asian and European cultures consider Carp a delicacy. But, I don't care for any kind of fish as a food. They all taste/feel like eating a dirty, sometimes salty, sponge to me.

woah, things getting just too heated for my senses fellas over fish talk (no pics, lame) so have some smooth jazz

1kth.jpg

I always preferred a 54 cal black powder rifle. If they were near the opposite shore you could pop them clear out of the water and up on the shore.

But I do agree with the fertilizer comment. At least out of the muddy crick that ran through our farm.

They put in the effort to remove the door only to find a brick infill.

Thanks. I've figured out that the GIFs aren't displaying properly on the phone app. The only thing it was showing me was the firefighters grinding on the door. Then it would just repeat.

It makes much more sense when watched on the web page where I can see the whole thing.

One time, as a kid I caught and landed a 35 pound carp on 6lb test line while my Dad's boat was docked in the Thousand Islands. It took more than an hour. I was so hoping it was a huge Pike or muskie!

One time, as a kid I caught and landed a 35 pound carp on 6lb test line while my Dad's boat was docked in the Thousand Islands. It took more than an hour. I was so hoping it was a huge Pike or muskie!

The Thousand Island region is probably my favorite place on the planet. We used to own a cottage on Wellesley Island. I've caught a boatload of pike over the years, (no muskies though), and a few large carp. But none approaching 35 lbs!! That must have been exciting.

The Thousand Island region is probably my favorite place on the planet. We used to own a cottage on Wellesley Island. I've caught a boatload of pike over the years, (no muskies though), and a few large carp. But none approaching 35 lbs!! That must have been exciting.

We used to keep our boat at a marina in Clayton (that's where I caught the carp). I haven't been up there in more than 20 years...I'm afraid to see how much more it's been built up. We spent many summers as a family up there on that boat.

Haha, Big Money Waste, Bring My Wallet, Burn My Wealth, etc etc is accurate. Ive bought all of mine used, luckily I do my own maintenance, so that really help to keep costs down. Parts on these old BMWs are getting quite expensive and sometimes quite hard to source. The water pump on my 91 M5 went poof at 25k miles, but BMW produced the impeller in plastic.

Yes, that is a S38B36 in my 91 M5. I have a few VAC internals in the engine and run a D'Sylva chip, current output is 357 bhp @7100RPM. Its going back to VAC for a head rebuild (its got 150k miles on previous), so Im hoping to get a few more ponies out to 380hp range with a few other modifications. I also have an 88 M5 with the S38B35:

416-378.jpg
So what's your source for parts besides eBay and the junkyard? I had the electrical harness burn out on my m3 because the bulb blew out :-/ Estimate was $5k just for one side of the front light. Bought an adapter for the burned out adapter on eBay from China for $5 and did a solderless hack job. Didn't want to take the 500 screws to solder it. Pretty much done blind. A year later I took it to my German mechanic and I was shocked he complimented me on the hack job. I was then looking for a new beemer and talking to him about the new LED lights. I told him I didn't trust the engineering. We've figured out the light bulb over a hundred years ago and I wasn't impressed on how they dealt with shorts. I'm scared to find out what happens with led. Always good to yank a German mechanic. 😀

So what's your source for parts besides eBay and the junkyard? I had the electrical harness burn out on my m3 because the bulb blew out :-/ Estimate was $5k just for one side of the front light. Bought an adapter for the burned out adapter on eBay from China for $5 and did a solderless hack job. Didn't want to take the 500 screws to solder it. Pretty much done blind. A year later I took it to my German mechanic and I was shocked he complimented me on the hack job. I was then looking for a new beemer and talking to him about the new LED lights. I told him I didn't trust the engineering. We've figured out the light bulb over a hundred years ago and I wasn't impressed on how they dealt with shorts. I'm scared to find out what happens with led. Always good to yank a German mechanic. ��

Lol, luckily Ive been in the clear with wiring harnesses.

I always cross reference realoem.com to see if there are other chassis that use the part Im looking for. I can usually rely upon a part being shared with an E32, so that sometimes helps me avoid markup when going online. I did buy a totaled out E34 M5 a few years that I randomly came across, the seller didn't realize what it was, picked off the parts I wanted, sold most via ebay, then donated the chassis to a scrapper.

Online:

m5board.com
bimmerforums.com
pelicanparts.com
rockauto.com (they have superb sources sometimes)
rmeuropean.com <- I luck out with these guys, they are local so no shipping $
fcpeuro.com
ecstuning.com
koalamotorsports.com

and VAC Motorsports for more engine specific parts. For M3s, bimmerforums is pretty good, though there are M3 specific boards that will be better. Luckily there are a lot more M3s around so parts supply seems better. Ill go to a dealer if I positively cannot find a part anywhere else.

If Im really up a creek, Ill do my best to refurbish a part. For example the E34 M5 has a large hydraulic fluid reservoir that supplies power steering and the rear suspension, which is hydraulically leveled (I removed this from both E28 and E34 long ago, SLS is rubbish). My canister was showing signs of pitting due to the hygroscopic fluid, I checked online for part cost, $700. Nah, lol thats not happening. I broke it down, cleaned it, painted it with Würth black paint.

One thing that really sucks about BMW is their heritage division does not produce parts. Mercedes classic still produces parts for old Mercs.

Edit: gotta have a pic in the pic thread. All genuine cobras:

1l87.jpg

1l88.jpg

Lol, luckily Ive been in the clear with wiring harnesses.

I always cross reference realoem.com to see if there are other chassis that use the part Im looking for. I can usually rely upon a part being shared with an E32, so that sometimes helps me avoid markup when going online. I did buy a totaled out E34 M5 a few years that I randomly came across, the seller didn't realize what it was, picked off the parts I wanted, sold most via ebay, then donated the chassis to a scrapper.

Online:

m5board.com
bimmerforums.com
pelicanparts.com
rockauto.com (they have superb sources sometimes)
rmeuropean.com <- I luck out with these guys, they are local so no shipping $
fcpeuro.com
ecstuning.com
koalamotorsports.com

and VAC Motorsports for more engine specific parts. For M3s, bimmerforums is pretty good, though there are M3 specific boards that will be better. Luckily there are a lot more M3s around so parts supply seems better. Ill go to a dealer if I positively cannot find a part anywhere else.

If Im really up a creek, Ill do my best to refurbish a part. For example the E34 M5 has a large hydraulic fluid reservoir that supplies power steering and the rear suspension, which is hydraulically leveled (I removed this from both E28 and E34 long ago, SLS is rubbish). My canister was showing signs of pitting due to the hygroscopic fluid, I checked online for part cost, $700. Nah, lol thats not happening. I broke it down, cleaned it, painted it with Würth black paint.

One thing that really sucks about BMW is their heritage division does not produce parts. Mercedes classic still produces parts for old Mercs.

Edit: gotta have a pic in the pic thread. All genuine cobras:

1l87.jpg

1l88.jpg
Thanks! I think I know the majority of those sites from the forums. The problem wasn't even the harness. It was the bulb that blew out. It didn't burn a fuse which caused it to burn all the way up the harness. Yea. That's normal.

I seem to remember I googled the part number which I found on a diagram that showed individual part numbers of the harness. Googling that then referenced me to somewhere in china on ebay for the melted out part. I was willing to throw away $5 if it didn't match the requirements. Worked fine except for the mertherferker short wire to splice it in.

Edit:

The_whole_universe_fits_in-76ef550203d91adde041e5e640cc8367.jpg

Latest posts

Back