Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My high school principal was Mr. Weiner, no lie.

EDIT: with a name like Weiner, what other job could you get?
This is true no BS.

My first boss out of college was a nice guy but his name was....

"Gary A. Dick.". - Gary Allen Dick

He got injured in freak golfing accident. He threw his putter down on the ground in a temper tantrum. It popped up square smack in the face. He went to the hospital. They eventually took out his left eye.

We then called him;

"Ole One Eye"

- Or -

"One-Eyed Dick"

All behind his back of course.

Totally true, probably the best work story I could tell.

Anchor Brewing.jpeg

I've been thinking about cracking this one open along about Thanksgiving time.
But it's still pretty new. It might need a few years more aging.

9 Fuchsstrasse....

I recall it being written as Fuchstrasse 9 on the utility bills.

It was a village in the Hunsruck called Altlay. At the time I was stationed at Hahn AB. My wife and I went back to Germany in 2018 for a 12 day guided tour and spent a few days in the Hunsruck and Mosel valley once the tour was over.

Hahn AB is now a commercial airport. Some of the old buildings still stand including the F-16 blast proof structures. There probably isn't a way to remove them, lol.

DSCN1163.JPG

DSCN1164.JPG

Think he said elsewhere they were Italian sausage, but he could still be a Polski.

What is the deal about no fennel in Italian sausage?
That the diff from Polski and Italian. Ironically Polski double the garlic whereas the Italian use fennel and garlic.

Polacks like their garlic.

Hungarians sub the fennel for hot smoked paprika.

Germans sub the fennel for caraway.

Scottish sub the fennel for oatmeal.

Irish sub the fennel and sausage for fecken whisky.

That the diff from Polski and Italian. Ironically Polski double the garlic whereas the Italian use fennel and garlic.

Polacks like their garlic.

Hungarians sub the fennel for hot smoked paprika.

Germans sub the fennel for caraway.

Scottish sub the fennel for oatmeal.

Irish sub the fennel and sausage for fecken whisky.

I thought I recall seeing you post once(maybe pizza thread) that Italian sausage was not suppose to have fennel. Was wondering if it a region thing or something.

Northern Italian sausage often is more German, i.e. no fennel, more garlic, maybe marjoram and nutmeg, etc., as far as I can tell. Me no likey fennel in sausage I'm gonna eat with spicy mustard and beer. All other ingredients negotiable. Maybe it's not so much the beer that I find conflicting with fennel (what wouldn't I like beer with?) but mustard and other likely accompaniments that just don't work for me with fennel.

[Edit typo]

Last edited:
I thought I recall seeing you post once(maybe pizza thread) that Italian sausage was not suppose to have fennel. Was wondering if it a region thing or something.
The above was partly joking. My mother's Polish sausage was super garlic.

Don't remember an old pizza post.... That said, in particular.... I like fennel it has a licorice flavor. And yes I don't like fennel in pizza. I also don't like Italian sausage in pizza. Pepperoni is my go-to and I'm from Chicago... (Blasphemy)

Fennel can utterly ruin pizza in my opinion

But I love Italian sausage in pasta and sloppy joes with giardiniera over green peppers.
Northern Italian sausage often is more German, i.e. no fennel, more garlic, maybe marjoram and nutmeg, etc., as far as I can tell. Me no likey fennel in sausage I'm gonna eat with spicy mustard and beer. All other ingredients negotiable. Maybe it's not so much the beer that I find conflicting with fennel (what wouldn't I like beer with?) but mustard and other likely accompaniments that just don't work for me with fennel.

[Edit typo]
True dat. It's garlic that good with sausage and pivo.

Last edited:

[Edit typo]

Well, I'm actually German and Scot. And I put fennel in my sausage. And cheese. Forgot the chopped jalapeno this time though.

Don't remember an old pizza post.... That said, in particular.... I like fennel it has a licorice flavor. And yes I don't like fennel in pizza. I also don't like Italian sausage in pizza. Pepperoni is my go-to and I'm from Chicago... (Blasphemy)

Fennel can utterly ruin pizza in my opinion
OK, thanks I think I get it now.

Latest posts

Back