Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"ARF!"
FB_IMG_1582231985551.jpeg

What kind of booze?

The few times I’ve flown into Dubai or Doha from the EU the guys beside me were slamming mini bottles of spirits. Not so much on the 16+ hr flight from NZ.

No booze on board. In my hotel mini fridge are 2 bottles of "non alcoholic malt flavored beverage". Pics later.

No booze on board. In my hotel mini fridge are 2 bottles of "non alcoholic malt flavored beverage". Pics later.
So when you are in a country where alcoholic beverages are illegal for an extended period, whadda ya do? HOME BREW.

Milkyway in the rigging, Bocas del Toro, Panamá...

The image is noisy because I was shooting at 8,000 ISO, and the conversion to JPEG to upload didnt help.

The Sony a6000 camera starts getting noisy at about 8,000, it will go much higher (25,600), but given the level of noise, Im not sure of the practical application of such a high ISO. So, it becomes a classic exposure triangle battle to get shots like this one.

Rainy season finally appears to be winding down in Bocas and we are getting beautiful clear nights so I will likely have a chance to try this again at a lower ISO.

DSC05752.jpg

Milkyway in the rigging, Bocas del Toro, Panamá...

The image is noisy because I was shooting at 8,000 ISO, and the conversion to JPEG to upload didnt help.

The Sony a6000 camera starts getting noisy at about 8,000, it will go much higher (25,600), but given the level of noise, Im not sure of the practical application of such a high ISO. So, it becomes a classic exposure triangle battle to get shots like this one.

Rainy season finally appears to be winding down in Bocas and we are getting beautiful clear nights so I will likely have a chance to try this again at a lower ISO.

View attachment 668020
If through rigging, on a boat, how much exposure time did you get without motion blurring?

If through rigging, on a boat, how much exposure time did you get without motion blurring?
Shot aboard a catamaran anchored in extremely still conditions. With a 16mm lens at f4.0 the max exposure time before star streaking becomes apparent is ~10". I shot a bunch of exposures at 8-10". This one was shot at 8".

Any boat movement at all and the picture is trashed. Would be very hard to shoot on a monohull...unless it was a damn big one.

Ok, the whole reason I had to go to Saudi...
IMG_20200224_164259622_HDR.jpg

Not naming names. This is a 747-400 cargo aircraft operated by a Turkish cargo outfit.
IMG_20200224_152351957_HDR.jpg

They may have been a tad overweight at takeoff. This is the worst damage, but for approximately 40 feet forward of this...
IMG_20200224_161717328_HDR.jpg

You can see where the skin is ground completely thru at the circumferential frames. This is the first day I looked at it, but I'm guesstimating about 5 mil for repair.

A tail dragger. You must be part of an AOG team.
15825711269278421201001597043373.jpg

Just fixed a similar tailstrike last year in Mexico City (on an Airbus), now this one, and have another lined up for May in Istanbul for the exact same repair as the one in Mexico. I think a lot of these cargo haulers are overloading their aircraft. Or the skill level may be declining.

Last edited:
View attachment 668053

Just fixed a similar tailstrike last year in Mexico City (on an Airbus), now this one, and have another lined up for May in Istanbul for the exact same repair as the one in Mexico. I think a lot of these cargo haulers are overloading their aircraft. Or the skill level may be declining.
I am completely ignorant WRT this entire field. But I recently happened to see an episode of "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel where it turns out that there are a lot of loadmasters who don't know you're supposed to count the pallet and strap weight in the cargo weight. I suppose you already know that, but it made me say, wait, I could've figured that out... and I'm just an idiot watching TV....

I am completely ignorant WRT this entire field. But I recently happened to see an episode of "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel where it turns out that there are a lot of loadmasters who don't know you're supposed to count the pallet and strap weight in the cargo weight. I suppose you already know that, but it made me say, wait, I could've figured that out... and I'm just an idiot watching TV....

A far more common problem is something that is not tied down properly, or breaks loose. With the acceleration applied at takeoff, something heavy shifting position can play havoc. I know this aircraft was carrying an aircraft engine on a stand (approx 10,000 lbs), but there is no internal damage that suggests that happened. Not my yob, man, I just fix 'em.
BTW, I think I saw that show too.

Back