Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been freakishly foggy here in NE Ohio, like 500 ft visibility, and looks like continuing another day. At least ol' Rudolf is earning his keep tonight!

Happy Holidays! :D

FB_IMG_1577248856906.jpeg

It's been freakishly foggy here in NE Ohio, like 500 ft visibility, and looks like continuing another day. At least ol' Rudolf is earning his keep tonight!
Yep that's where I live too. Wierd having that dense fog for like 24 hours. All gone now though. Merry Christmas everyone!

Are they taking applications? I'd even be a janitor there! More interesting then fixing semiconductor equipment making the latest unneeded chips going into unneeded toys.
I built the two solid rocket boosters strapped to the main liquid engine of the Atlas V in this flight (and many others). I've seen launches from the cape, but that's a pretty cool way to see it fly! The next one is supposed to be manned.

...The next one is supposed to be manned.

Based on the posturing after the flight, my guess is that you are correct, even though the contractual requirement for manned certification was not met (successful test flight including automated docking at ISS).

It is good to see the advancements of a re-usable capsule that can be recovered on land, but it's disappointing to see it paired with a non-reusable lift system.

trusty multimeter saved my cheese, AGAIN

heat went out, check the big honkin' 60-amp fuses and, sure enough, one had blown. no spares, run to HD, & we got heat now!

go ahead & mock the relic, if you must

A multimeter is critical to troubleshoot any holiday light malfunction & this little one has truly saved Christmas

I are a technician

View attachment 656004

26A61863-CD54-4A18-808B-EACAAF72E7E5.jpeg
I was too tired to join after work Monday, but wife had Santa’s hat at our local distillery.

Well.... just might turn into one of those experiments. Forgot to get the clove and allspice, so I’m going to let it ride till tomorrow after work. Might just let it ride and see what the wilds do. Maybe milk the funk?

This is what I’m making it from:

Here’s a close up from tonight.

View attachment 658736

I asked because it recently came to my attention that ketchup was originally a fermented Chinese fish sauce. At least that's what Guy F. said on one of his shows. Or maybe my wife is correct and I remember how I want to remember.

Cute, but I don't get why folks seem so crazed about the wee alien...

View attachment 658816
Call it a baby yoda and that shizz will sell out regardless of how it tastes.
I asked because it recently came to my attention that ketchup was originally a fermented Chinese fish sauce. At least that's what Guy F. said on one of his shows. Or maybe my wife is correct and I remember how I want to remember.
Not sure about ketchup, but that is the story of Worcestershire sauce to the T. Look up the classic ingredients for Lee&perins and you will wonder why anchovies are in there.

As I understand it, "ketchup" is a (or derived from a) generic term for a number of fermented sauces in SE Asia and Indonesia, fish sauce foremost among them. Fermented fish sauce, called garum, had been the single most essential feature of the cuisine of the Roman world, but disappeared in the Middle Ages (this is something I actually know a fair bit about.) When it was rediscovered by 17th and 18th century Westerners in the East, it caught on like wildfire in Europe and Colonial America, but was adapted to be based on all sorts of ingredients, like walnuts, mushrooms -- anything that could contribute the necessary elements of umami. Tomatoes were the ultimate Western base, but precedent or parallel even for this exists in Cantonese cuisine. I have no doubt that Worcestershire sauce is one particular example of this Western ketchup evolution, and is an ironic, full circle sort of thing: The Roman sauce, garum, was based on anchovies, and every locality producing it had its own variation, sometimes adding other ingredients (beyond fish, salt, and time in a crock in the sun) including various fruits, herbs, and spices. Which sounds a lot like Worcestershire sauce. Further, I have long been fascinated by the distinct historical possibility that Asian fish sauce itself actually descends from Roman garum by way of the Indian subcontinent, so that Worcestershire sauce and ketchup have finally come home.

[EDIT sp.]

Last edited:
Call it a baby yoda and that shizz will sell out regardless of how it tastes.

Not sure about ketchup, but that is the story of Worcestershire sauce to the T. Look up the classic ingredients for Lee&perins and you will wonder why anchovies are in there.

Be that as it may, I like Worcestershire sauce on all of my beef consumptions. It is delicious. For the record I don't like anchovies.

As I understand it, "ketchup" is a (or derived from a) generic term for a number of fermented sauces in SE Asia and Indonesia, fish sauce foremost among them. Fermented fish sauce, called garum, had been the single most essential feature of the cuisine of the Roman world, but disappeared in the Middle Ages (this is something I actually know a fair bit about.) When it was rediscovered by 17th and 18th century Westerners in the East, it caught on like wildfire in Europe and Colonial America, but was adapted to be based on all sorts of ingredients, like walnuts, mushrooms -- anything that could contribute the necessary elements of umami. Tomatoes were the ultimate Western base, but precedent or parallel even for this exists in Cantonese cuisine. I have no doubt that Worcestershire sauce is one particular example of this Western ketchup evolution, and is an ironic, full circle sort of thing: The Roman sauce, garum, was based on anchovies, and every locality producing it had its own variation, sometimes adding other ingredients (beyond fish, salt, and time in a crock in the sun) including various fruits, herbs, and spices. Which sounds a lot like Worcestershire sauce. Further, I have long been fascinated by the distinct historical possibility that Asian fish sauce itself actually descends from Roman garum by way of the Indian subcontinent, so that Worcestershire sauce and ketchup have finally cone home.

Thanks for the info! I love this kind of stuff.

Never liked Worcestershire sauce, and when someone told me anchovies where a major ingredient I finally knew why.

When we were kids, we went through a phase where eggs and soy sauce were the best thing ever. One day we ran out of soy sauce. Eggs and whatsthisheresauce became the best thing ever.

When we were kids, we went through a phase where eggs and soy sauce were the best thing ever. One day we ran out of soy sauce. Eggs and whatsthisheresauce became the best thing ever.
Whatsthisheresauce? I like it. "Wash your sister sauce" is always a good one. But if you want to be correct: Worcestershire is the county, Worcester the county seat and source of the sauce. In England, nobody distinguishes the two in relevant usage. The correct pronunciation, therefore, ignores the enclitic indication of county, and is simply "Worcester sauce," that is, phonetically for Yanks, "Whoo-ster sauce." It's really very easy to say.

Finished up the mushroom catchup last night. Came out awesome! I have the pulp (for lack of a better word) drying to make seasoning now. Definitely worth the time to make it!

Are they taking applications? I'd even be a janitor there! More interesting then fixing semiconductor equipment making the latest unneeded chips going into unneeded toys.

Unfortunately, ULA gave the booster contract to ATK (who is now owned by their competition, Northrop:bravo:) and Aerojet (who I worked for) decided to close the Sacramento, CA facility and move operations to other facilities around the country. Now, after 35+ years I was laid off on the 5th of December. I don't know what the problems on this flight will mean for the manned mission, from what I've gathered, it sounds like the problem with the flight may have been a programming issue. While my boosters have been used in many launches, they have never been used on manned missions before and I never wanted that weight on my shoulders. If it happens, you can bet that you couldn't pull a nickel from my butt cheeks with a tractor during the first couple minutes of that launch!

a better display of my 'shopping skills.

my niece took 2 pics of her kids & complained they weren't both looking at the camera in either of them

I fixed that for her

View attachment 658935

View attachment 658934
We used to have a pony and a bunch of costumes that we would rent to birthday parties. We would take pics of the kids dressed up on the pony and print 8x10's right there, which was state-of-the-art at the time. For a small additional fee, I would edit out the mom that was holding the toddler in place.

Back