Random Beer Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a fan of this new high life obsession philly seems to be having. It seems to be the one domestic that a lot of places, including some pretty good/high-end restaurants, in philly carry and I dont get it. I love a high life as far as domestic beer goes but it pains me to see it on menus next to otherwise solid craft beverage menus.

I am not a fan of this new high life obsession philly seems to be having. It seems to be the one domestic that a lot of places, including some pretty good/high-end restaurants, in philly carry and I dont get it. I love a high life as far as domestic beer goes but it pains me to see it on menus next to otherwise solid craft beverage menus.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It’s an opinion so can’t be wrong or right but sure I’ll bite. Why do you disagree?

I can't speak to the Philly particulars of it, but to comment on the general sentiments of your post.

1. I love High Life, you seem to as well. We're in agreement.
2. I'm not sure what the difference in $ is between High Life and the other "solid craft beverage(s)" but I'm just tired of paying $9+ for a "craft" beer out here. Even though it only saves a few dollars (and I probably lose money in the end) I'd rather buy the cheaper High Life and kick and extra couple of dollars towards the cost of the meal. If I'm dining out, I'm not there because of the beer. Sometimes something refreshing, crisp and mild scratches your beer itch and lets you focus on and enjoy the food that much more.

Bottle shares in the Hudson Valley Brewery lines are weird. A lot people bring cans of IPA or cans of previous HVB beers.

I'm in the minority when I crack open random 750mL bottles of a 5 year old imperial stout. And it doesn't get too much love because there are no pastries or candies in it. :confused:

I can't speak to the Philly particulars of it, but to comment on the general sentiments of your post.

1. I love High Life, you seem to as well. We're in agreement.
2. I'm not sure what the difference in $ is between High Life and the other "solid craft beverage(s)" but I'm just tired of paying $9+ for a "craft" beer out here. Even though it only saves a few dollars (and I probably lose money in the end) I'd rather buy the cheaper High Life and kick and extra couple of dollars towards the cost of the meal. If I'm dining out, I'm not there because of the beer. Sometimes something refreshing, crisp and mild scratches your beer itch and lets you focus on and enjoy the food that much more.
I’m drinking a high life right now. I’m a fan. So your first point is certainly correct.
I don’t often care about beer per-se when going out. It’s nice to have as a cheaper option at some spots and scratch that beer itch without breaking the bank. But it’s been popping up as the domestic option at craft beer bars which just seems hipster to be hipster. And it bothers me being on more high end restaurant menus. When apps are $15-20 and entrees are $25-40 I don’t think saving a dollar is that important. Especially when those places charge $5-6 for it. I’m sure you can get a solid craft lager for that same price point. When you’re trying to show off quality produce food-wise and quality wine and liquor options I don’t beleive high life should be on the menu. It doesn’t fit. I judge it as if one had a vermouth bar and never refrigerated the vermouth. It just doesn’t work.

Look at this ****ing complainabrag.

LYMI

Is Icehouse the same price as Bud on the coast? There's usually a $2-$3 difference per six pack.
Honestly couldn’t tell you. I’ve never seen icehouse around here. But most domestics are within a $1 difference around here. At least at dives/neighborhood bars who’s prices I trust to be the most democratic.

Honestly couldn’t tell you. I’ve never seen icehouse around here. But most domestics are within a $1 difference around here. At least at dives/neighborhood bars who’s prices I trust to be the most democratic.
Ah, ok. I was comparing grocery store prices. There's what I guess you'd call "premium macro" and "ghetto macro". PBR slid up to the premium price slot.

Anyway, this was an awful discussion. Everyone can go back to talking about gluten now.

Last edited:
Ah, ok. I was comparing grocery store prices. There's what I guess you'd call "premium macro" and "ghetto macro". PBR slid up to the premium price slot.

Anyway, this was an awful discussion. Everyone can go back to talking about gluten now.
You can’t tell me this is worse than gluten free va gluten removed. (Well, you can, but you’d be wrong)

I guess I never really think about the relative price differences between macros, but maybe that's just me. If I want one at the store, I'll just buy Busch. If it's at a bar, I suppose maybe I'm more price sensitive but the only local place I'd go to and order those kinds of beers has Busch Light and PBR tallboys for like 2 bucks a can, so I'm not exactly price-sensitive at that point. I will never order macros by the bottle though, those are always overpriced especially when at the same places I could get Lagunitas IPA or Two-Hearted for under 5 bucks a pint.

I guess I never really think about the relative price differences between macros, but maybe that's just me. If I want one at the store, I'll just buy Busch. If it's at a bar, I suppose maybe I'm more price sensitive but the only local place I'd go to and order those kinds of beers has Busch Light and PBR tallboys for like 2 bucks a can, so I'm not exactly price-sensitive at that point. I will never order macros by the bottle though, those are always overpriced especially when at the same places I could get Lagunitas IPA or Two-Hearted for under 5 bucks a pint.

BUSCH?

Julian please

Confirmed.

PBR used to be $1-1.50 cheaper than Budweiser at bars around me. Now all the dive bars have them priced equally.

Seemingly all the clubs / concert venues here in NY did the same thing, and followed that shortly after by bumping up the prices of Bud.

Its like they were doubling down on punishing us for thinking we could drink cheap.

Seeing the raves that Brewdog’s Overworks beers (from their new sour-only offshoot brewery) are getting is making me feel... not uncomfortable, but a bit conflicted. It’s basically Richard from Wicked Weed with near-unlimited funds, so they should be good, but then it’s Brewdog-circa-2019

Back