Ran out of propane while brewing..am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
I started home brewing early this year, doing my 5th kit this morning (all extract kits from Midwest Supplies). Today I was doing a Honey Weizen.

60 minute brew, with hops/malt at the beginning, honey @ 30 minutes in, hops and rest of honey @ 50 minutes in.

At ~40 minutes I ran out of propane. I do full 5 gallon batches and do a nice rolling boil the entire time (Dark Star burner). I brought it in and put in on our stove top. Our home is all electric (sadly), so the remainder of the time the post sat around 208 degrees. I ended up doing a 70 minute batch, adding honey/hops at the last 10 minutes but it wasn't boiling obviously.

Is my batch ruined? I chilled it with my Immersion chiller right after coming off the burner, dumped to my SS fermenter, and did a 40 second oxygen injection with my new oxygenation kit (which is pretty nice...a lot better than their old kit for less money too): https://www.midwestsupplies.com/oxygen-kit.html

Dry yeast, just pitched on top like normal. I keg all my beer and force carb. Is it going to taste weird or should I be okay? All of my other batches have turned out really good.

I doubt your batch is ruined, if anything you may have a little less hop utilization, but that is fixable. You could try making a hop tea and adding it to the keg.

Good to hear. That O2 injection is no joke - I've never seen such active fermentation before; normally I just aerated with the output of my vacuum pump I use for wine but this is way more active!

It might not be ideal, but it's certainly not "ruined".

Just be sure to learn from your mistake: buy a backup propane tank! I always have a full one on reserve during brewday.

It might not be ideal, but it's certainly not "ruined".

Just be sure to learn from your mistake: buy a backup propane tank! I always have a full one on reserve during brewday.

Failing that scope out your neighbor's BBQs and execute a covert tank swap.

Back