Raising ferment temp to get dry finish...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
I have a "fizzy yellow beer" in primary right now, that i would like to finish dry and crisp. I understand that you can raise the ferment temp toward the end of primary to help the yeasties finish strong. My question is at what point can i begin raising the temp without producing alot of esters? S-05 is the yeast in use, so itll probly finish well on its own, just looking for some opinions. Btw i mashed at 150.

Generally I'll let ales go for 7-10 days, lagers about 21 before ramping up

after 10 -14 days I pull all of my fermenters out the temp controlled freezer and out into room temp 68-78F. It helps them finish and it freeze up the space to ferment more beer.

Thanks for the link Yoop! Its good to get info from such experienced brewers. I ferment relatively low (61-62) so I think i will try ramping up toward the end. But im still kindof wondering exactly when i should start raising the temp? Og on this was only about 1.050 and mash temp was on the low side, so i would think probly after a week or so i could start raising the temp...any thoughts?

I usually keep temps low to control fermentation and blow off. Once krausen starts to fall and I have no more need for blow off tube is usually when I start to ramp up the temps, which usually coincide with 7-10 days. But this could all be different per batch, since sometimes fermentation might take up to 3 days to start.

I don't think it's a set number of days. When fermentation slows down, and you want to coax the last couple of gravity points down, plus you want to clean up any diacetyl and things. From what I remember of that podcast, and the way Jamil's answer sounded, I would say that you would do this right as the primary fermentation was winding down. Most of the fermentation would be finished. In most of my cool fermentations, that would happen around day 5.

Okay thanks everyone. I was guessing that 5-7 days would be about right for this particular brew. It took off very quickly and has fermented pretty strong. Normally i wouldnt sweat the crisp finish quite this much, but im trying to make an ale that my one friend will drink. Usually if it doesnt say miller lite he wont touch it...kindof a challenge to myself.

Back