Raising abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mglicini

Reaction score
I didnt know where to put this, I brewed an allgrain IPA and had a relatively chill brew day and, I dont check my gravity throughout the mashing and brewing process (even though I know I should). I mashed at 153 degrees and didnt account for temp lost in the rubbermaid cooler (also didnt check it).. so I must of dropped well below that and didnt get as much sugar.. I was going for an o.g. 1.066, ended up with o.g. 1.044 is there a way I can feed the fermentation like you would for making a big beer (and if so how would I do that) or am I better off seeing where it goes and most likely ending up with an unbalanced beer

Or mash then boil some strong wort and add that to the fermenting batch. You only need to boil it for 15-30' or so, to drive off DMS.

Adding DME, as @Kirkwooder said, is quicker, easier. I would dissolve it in the smallest amount of hot water before adding.

I didnt know where to put this, I brewed an allgrain IPA and had a relatively chill brew day and, I dont check my gravity throughout the mashing and brewing process (even though I know I should). I mashed at 153 degrees and didnt account for temp lost in the rubbermaid cooler (also didnt check it).. so I must of dropped well below that and didnt get as much sugar.. I was going for an o.g. 1.066, ended up with o.g. 1.044 is there a way I can feed the fermentation like you would for making a big beer (and if so how would I do that) or am I better off seeing where it goes and most likely ending up with an unbalanced beer
need more info-
153* isnt off by that much. but not preheating the tun might have lost 10* or so so it may have been too cool for proper conversion.
size of batch/ grain bill
mash time
how much actual fermentable ingredients did you use.
did you sparge .
always check your gravities as you go

need more info-
153* isnt off by that much. but not preheating the tun might have lost 10* or so so it may have been too cool for proper conversion.
size of batch/ grain bill
mash time
how much actual fermentable ingredients did you use.
did you sparge .
always check your gravities as you go
More info:
I actually used a sous vide to heat the water in the container, so guess potentially I only lost the initial heat adding the mash.
5gal batch/ all grain bill, 10 lb 2 row pale malt, 1lb munich
mash time 1.5 hours (doing other stuff figured it wasnt going to hurt it.
Yes I sparged 168 degrees took about 30 min.
I never felt I had a need to check my gravity I was always close enough.. now I have a reason

I would like to add some dme dissolved in water- is there a way to calculate how much dme to add or is the guess and check method my only way?

I would like to add some dme dissolved in water- is there a way to calculate how much dme to add or is the guess and check method my only way?
You're 22 points short of your intended 1.066. 5 gallons in the fermenter?

5 gal * 22 points = 110 points.
DME yields around 45 points per pound per gallon (ppg) ==> 110/45 = 2.4 pounds of DME needed.

To be more precise, if it takes a quart of hot water to dissolve the DME, add that quart of 0-gravity volume to your calculation:
.25 gal * 66 points / 45 ppg DME = .37 pounds of DME needed to bring that quart of water itself to a gravity 1.066.

Total DME needed: 2.4 + .37 = 2.77 pounds.

I would definitely bring that dissolved DME to 180F for 5 minutes to pasteurize, for all security. Be careful not to scorch it, it's thick, almost syrupy.

You're 22 points short of your intended 1.066. 5 gallons in the fermenter?

5 gal * 22 points = 110 points.
DME yields around 45 points per pound per gallon (ppg) ==> 110/45 = 2.4 pounds of DME needed.

To be more precise, if it takes a quart of hot water to dissolve the DME, add that quart of 0-gravity volume to your calculation:
.25 gal * 66 points / 45 ppg DME = .37 pounds of DME needed to bring that quart of water itself to a gravity 1.066.

Total DME needed: 2.4 + .37 = 2.77 pounds.
Yes 5 gal. Batch.. thank you for your help

Back