rahr base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

git_dr1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Rahr base malt. Up till now I've primarily used Breiss. Local shop started carrying this and its about 30 cents cheaper than Briess. Thought I would ask opinions before I tried it.

According to Kai Troester, Rahr 2 row Pale displays a 0.2 unit pH drop compared to similar 2 row Pale malts. This suggests that their malt is slightly acidified on purpose.

Since most places have water with some alkalinity, the acidification works out well for most brewers. It may not be a good thing for brewers that use RO or DI water to brew with, but they are a minority.

I did a test batch with some, and I really like it! Agree with Malticulous, on the flavor.

+1 on the cheaper price as well! (Probably because of the shipping costs being less)

Pretty much any malt is a step up from Briess. Their packaging sucks, their base malts are bland, and their crystal malts cloying. Rahr Pale malt is one of the best domestic base malts in my opinion.

I purchased 55 lbs bag of Rahr 2-row from local malting plant for $20, right from the source. I almost used the whole bag now and the only thing I have to complain about is amount of debris in grains. I had to use fine mesh collander to clean every pound or so by hand, you get about half a pound of debris for one average batch grain bill

Back