rahr 2-row alternative from this website?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings! I recently moved overseas to Germany and am trying to get set back into brewing....I can get most of my ingredients here but having some issues finding rahr 2-row.

Ive never been great at matching similar grains and was hoping to get some friendly input?

https://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/index.php?k=261&lang=eng

Of course if there is another German source I am happy to entertain that as well!

Thanks.....

Greetings! I recently moved overseas to Germany and am trying to get set back into brewing....I can get most of my ingredients here but having some issues finding rahr 2-row.

Ive never been great at matching similar grains and was hoping to get some friendly input?

https://www.hobbybrauerversand.de/index.php?k=261&lang=eng

Of course if there is another German source I am happy to entertain that as well!

Thanks.....

I'm not familiar with some of the maltsters, but one of the Pale Ale malts is probably your best bet. Rahr/American 2-row malts don't have a lot going on, though, so what you see there might be a little more malty. Depending on the recipe, that could be a good thing.

You could buy the pale ale malt on Page 5 or any of the lower cost pilsner malts. North American 2-row malt is not used in any European beer that I'm aware of so it's not surprising you haven't found it.

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like 'hobbybrauer' is using Weyermann malts. Weyermann is of course a local (German) maltster, and many of the malts listed at hobbybrauer appear to have trademarked Weyermann names .. like carafoam, barke, etc. That said, here is what Weyerman says about their pale malt .. "Produced from high-quality, 2-row spring barley, Weyermann® Pale Ale malt provides excellent body and pale color. It imparts a complex malty flavor with notes of bread, dried fruits, and honey. Processed for distinctively "English" characteristics, this malt is highly modified for use with either single or multi-step infusions. And the low protein and glucan levels make for easy lautering and high extract efficiency. It's the perfect foundational grist for any ale, but yields great results in lager-making, too."

I use it for a few of my recipes but most often an IPA (which I cant wait to make here due to the lack of availability). Might come out really good.....

I have experimented with swapping out ingredients only a few times (mainly with my hefeweizen) and was never happy with the results compared to my original recipe so I really appreciate the assistance!

Took me a while to get to brew with it and the results were outstanding. Came out just like my recipe back in the U.S. Thanks!

Back