Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 2 weeks ago, hit my OG 1.052, tested this morning, 1.013. I'll test again tomorrow. Just let this sit in ambient room temps ranging from 62* all the way up to 78*, but the hydro sample tastes pretty darn good. What a great RED too, wasn't expecting that from the wort. Lots of activity for the first 2 days, then just settling down. If the FG is the same tomorrow, then the yeast is done.

Should I bottle & let it condition in the bottle for 2+ weeks or let it sit in the fermenter for another week then 2+ in the bottles? Is there a benefit to letting it sit after the yeast is all done and the SG is stabilized?

Raging Irish Red.jpg

Wow! That's some kind of red color. I'm brewing this on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed 2 weeks ago, hit my OG 1.052, tested this morning, 1.013. I'll test again tomorrow. Just let this sit in ambient room temps ranging from 62* all the way up to 78*, but the hydro sample tastes pretty darn good. What a great RED too, wasn't expecting that from the wort. Lots of activity for the first 2 days, then just settling down. If the FG is the same tomorrow, then the yeast is done.

Should I bottle & let it condition in the bottle for 2+ weeks or let it sit in the fermenter for another week then 2+ in the bottles? Is there a benefit to letting it sit after the yeast is all done and the SG is stabilized?

looks awesome! I personally primary for 30 days. it gives the yeast time to clean up after itself then bottle and wait another 4 weeks before cooling and drinking. yeah I know.. 2 months for a beer but it's worth it. It was also the reason I started kegging everything :)

Have a bucket goin in a corny can today mine looks pretty much like the pic posted above & have a batch that will be ready next weekend that I'll be putting in a Pubkeg

Just took a gravity reading today after 2 weeks. OG 1.062 today it is 1.023. Sample tasted kinda watered down and it's way more amber than red even with light behind it. And fermentation was never really explosive like I thought it was going to be, it was just pretty slow. I used a starter with the wlp001. I gave it a good slosh today and I'll take another reading in a few days to see what's going on.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393620521.671238.jpg

Mine is going into the keg as we speak. Tastes great looks great

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

1393621332892.jpg

Kegged on Friday for a small party on Sunday. It all went. Best beer I've ever made. Being another batch on Saturday

Sent from my tricked out relay 4G

12 gallons in the fermenter and already fermenting. Ended up @ 1.057. Can't wait!

Brewing 10 gallons of this today. BIAB.

Had to change the recipe a bit because the LHBS didn't have Caraaroma; doubled the Melanoiden and added some Carared.

Fortunately, I finally found a local brewery (gotta love Eugene!), that gave me the caraaroma that I needed. I also chose to sub Maris Otter for the Pale Malt. I'll be tossing this on a Safale 05 yeast cake that just finished a light pale ale.

Thanks for the recipe!

Just kegged this while I'm brewing a Chinook IPA. Ended up @ 1.008. Tastes great!

Since I didn't have enough Caraaroma, so it's not as red as it should be, but it is mighty fine tastin' brew straight out of the fermenter. I'll try to post a pic after I finish brewing the IPA.

Just brewed this up last night, i have to admit the color is amazing! The taste sample from my hydrometer reading was almost caramel like.. cant wait to see how this turns out. I didnt sub any of the ingredients, kept it OG. All of my measurements came back great. :mug:

ive only done the MR beer kit.. so all help is appreciated.. first time doing all grain and need a step by step if someone is willing to do so.. please PM me.. not sure which to add in the muslin to make the mash.. and which ones to add there after.... please please.. help =D.. i do have all the ingredients for this beer.... just cut it down in half ... trial and error first.. =D

Denniz

ive only done the MR beer kit.. so all help is appreciated.. first time doing all grain and need a step by step if someone is willing to do so.. please PM me.. not sure which to add in the muslin to make the mash.. and which ones to add there after.... please please.. help =D.. i do have all the ingredients for this beer.... just cut it down in half ... trial and error first.. =D

Denniz

going from Mr Beer to All Grain is a HUGE jump in difficulty but it can be done. I'm not going to tell you step by step how to do it in this thread though since that is far from its purpose. Read this and you'll see how it's done.. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

hell, maybe just convert his recipe into extract. or into a partial mash. cheers and best of luck.

well i scored a 31!! :( must because of the over carb although in the notes they gave me that was not.. who knows?.. cheers, .. next time i will not over carb

Have this on tap it got very drinkable by Friday neighbors liked it alot & the wife even liked it--I put some in a can last week that I did with Denny's Favorite it didn't taste so good it should be on a tap by the weekend and hope it tastes better

I was happy to brew this as my first beer in about 4 years. It fermented out in about 3 days and has been in the primary for 2 weeks. I'm going to let it go for another week before kegging it up. Hopefully it will be a smooth sessionable beer.

Can't wait to rack an ESB right onto the cake!

This was my first solo attempt at brewing. Brew day pretty much went according to plan. This has been kegged for close to two weeks and it's starting to clear up a bit, and tasting great!
wp_20140312_003-62491.jpg

Made this for St. Patrick's Day with a couple minor modifications - Added a half ounce of Cascade at 15 and reduced the 30 min cascade addition by close to half (Cascade's AA's have been sneaking up toward 7.5% lately, so I adjusted for IBU's), and I added 4oz of torrified wheat. Tastes delicious, and man is it red.

1911722_10152251819636001_712099954_n.jpg

Great recipe! I scaled this down to 3.5 gal and brewed this yesterday. Wort sample was crazy red! I had some Edinburgh Ale yeast (WLP028) and decided to use that so I pitched a 1L starter of it into this batch. I will try to report back to let everyone know how it went with the different yeast!

Well, was able to have a few bottles of this over the weekend just in time for St Patricks.

What a great beer, recipe is wonderful!

It still needs a couple more weeks in the bottle before I post a picture of my pour, but it is a definite winner. :mug:

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

what kind of honey is everyone using??

Made it twice both times I used wild flower honey and it came out great

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

So this will be my first brew from all grain. (Only 3rd batch of beer ever made)

How much corn sugar..? 3/4tsp per 12 oz bottle ?? Mine is about 2.5gal batch. Should I put the corn sugar in warm water to break down. Put in clean carboy. Then siphon fermented beer and mix with corn sugar so it's all evenly mixed and then bottle ?

DeNNiZ

So this will be my first brew from all grain. (Only 3rd batch of beer ever made)

How much corn sugar..? 3/4tsp per 12 oz bottle ?? Mine is about 2.5gal batch. Should I put the corn sugar in warm water to break down. Put in clean carboy. Then siphon fermented beer and mix with corn sugar so it's all evenly mixed and then bottle ?

DeNNiZ

always prime by weight not measurements like tsp or cups.. that's asking for trouble.

for 2.4 volumes of CO2 on a 2.5 gallon batch that is stored at 65F. you'd need 2 ounces of corn sugar. add that to about a cup of water and boil it for 15 minutes to kill any nasty bugs. chill it and then add that to a bottling bucket and siphon the beer into it. give it a GENTLE stir and bottle

so i brewed this past weekend as my first eBIAB...welp over shot my mash was 90min at 164 shot for 154...and now i see i only added 1/2lb of Caraaroma not 1 lb....:drunk: I got caught up splitting the other two grains and split the Caraaroma by mistake...have more grains OTW to retry this problem only one keg open...going to have to buy some bottles and bottle for the first time i guess...and no i didnt take a OG :smack:

so i brewed this past weekend as my first eBIAB...welp over shot my mash was 90min at 164 shot for 154...and now i see i only added 1/2lb of Caraaroma not 1 lb....:drunk: I got caught up splitting the other two grains and split the Caraaroma by mistake...have more grains OTW to retry this problem only one keg open...going to have to buy some bottles and bottle for the first time i guess...and no i didnt take a OG :smack:

on the bright side... you still made beer

this is true and with those two changes we will see what i have made:/ but like I said i plan to redo this beer CORRECTLY lol

I have this as my next batch to do. I was surprised, i thought honey added a little more gravity.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

This beer was my first ever 15 gallon batch, and it did come out pretty tasty. It won Best of Show at my brewing club's March beer competition.

I did make some mods to it. Instead of using melanoiden malt, I used carared. Instead of Cascade hops, I used Mosaic. I used Irish Ale yeast and I also dry-hopped it with some El Dorado hops to give it a nice stone fruit-ish aroma. I also got to finally use the three pounds of really good clover honey that I had laying around.

I will brew this again next year, but I think I'll experiment more with different hop combinations.

I had to sub c-120, so mine is not as red. Also the honey is very pronounced. Hope it disappears.

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

i ordered my grains from northern brewers because my brewstore wanted to sub all the Weyermanns and they said it would really affect the taste and look

Ok so even with missing 1/2 a pound of grains and mashing at 165 my fg needed at about 1.015.... Although I think I should of left longer in the primary

Back