Radish beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedie789

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience brewng with radishes as an ingredient? I'd like to try it out but have no idea how to use them for a beer.

Haven't tried it, but I bet it would end up being pretty neutral except for the spiciness. If you used it in the correct quantities you might get the moderate spiciness of a ginger-flavored beer, which can be pleasant. I suppose a vegetal aroma would also be possible. I would probably experiment with a small batch first.

Try making a tea and adding it in small amounts to a pint. I love radishes, but this sounds kind of sketchy. But who knows, maybe it will be fantastic.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it would even be worth trying. The idea came up when I was drinking with my brother last night. He said he has a ton of radishes and wondered if I would be able to brew with them.

Did anything ever come of this. We were just given a box of radishes. Have some juices, gallons of honey and maple syrup, frozen fruits, some wine yeasts and some saison yeast and trying to think of something to use them with.

If anything you'll have something available when the Fraggles and Gorgs come to visit.

Not the radishes, but the radish SEEDS may be of interest. They have an oil that is harvested as a flavoring agent. They're kind of meaty, and could probably be malted just like grain.

Unfortunately you'd want a radish variety meant for oilseed production. Something like the rat tail radish, which doesnt really produce an edible root. It would be interesting to see if they could be malted but I think you'd end up with an oily mess as I believe they are roasted to extract their oil.

Back