Racking to secondary this sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBavarianMan

Reaction score
And adding gel. to help clear things up. I am planning on leaving in secondary for a week. And then bottling. Here is the recipe I used. Please advise if this is going to be good enough in 2nd fermenter. Im still a noob and dont want to screw anything up this only my second batch.
4lb can Muntons Canadian Ale
2 lbs Biscuit Malt
1/2 lb Chocolat mat
2 Lbs Briess Light DME
1/2 cup Molassas
1oz Amarillo hops at 30
1 oz Amarillo Hops at 15
45 minute boil
5 gal batch.

That's alot of biscuit malt, and the molasses is weird. I don't think I've ever done only a 30 minute hops addition with amarillo, either. Anyway, the recipe isn't very good (I wouldn't use one again from that source) but the beer might be good anyway!

I wouldn't bother with secondary at all. I'd just wait until day 21 and bottle the beer, if the FG is stable.

There is mixed reviews on using a secondary. The only 2 cents i will offer is this: I wouldnt bother with a secondary if you only plan on doing it for a week. i only secondary if it will be for 2 weeks or more......gives the beer time to clear a bit after the racking inevitably stirs things up alittle.
If you only want one more week to to clear it up (if you are trying to have it ready by a certain date, for example), leave it one more week in the primary.

When I tasted from the Hydro it was very tasty. And it smelled like Chocolate bread during the boil. I think its going to be a very tasty beer.

That's alot of biscuit malt, and the molasses is weird. I don't think I've ever done only a 30 minute hops addition with amarillo, either. Anyway, the recipe isn't very good (I wouldn't use one again from that source) but the beer might be good anyway!

I wouldn't bother with secondary at all. I'd just wait until day 21 and bottle the beer, if the FG is stable.

I agree with yooper, racking to a secondary is an outdated practice. If you leave the beer in your fermenter for 21-28 days(28 is recommended but I understand the impatience of a new brewer) you will see a remarkable clarity in your beer with out having to add gel or any other clarifier. As for your recipe did you put that together yourself or find it somewhere? I ask not as a criticism but more as a curiosity, I have no idea how a beer with that ingredient list would taste. I would love to know how it ends up.

I also neglected to comment on the Gelatin in the secondary. For circumstances which would commonly use a secondary (IE dryhopping, or long term conditioning), anyone ever heard of using gelatin in the secondary? I have only heard of doing this at bottling....maybe someone could weigh in on this for 'LostBavarianMan'...I'd be curious to know as well.....

Chris the recipe is kind of my idea however I ran it by an old timer at my LHBS and he said it sounds like it would work out pretty good. Like I said if the finished product is half as good as the Hydro sample I might be on to something.
And the hop boil was at 45 and 15 I had to look at my notes.

I agree with yooper, racking to a secondary is an outdated practice. If you leave the beer in your fermenter for 21-28 days(28 is recommended but I understand the impatience of a new brewer) you will see a remarkable clarity in your beer with out having to add gel or any other clarifier. As for your recipe did you put that together yourself or find it somewhere? I ask not as a criticism but more as a curiosity, I have no idea how a beer with that ingredient list would taste. I would love to know how it ends up.

I also neglected to comment on the Gelatin in the secondary. For circumstances which would commonly use a secondary (IE dryhopping, or long term conditioning), anyone ever heard of using gelatin in the secondary? I have only heard of doing this at bottling....maybe someone could weigh in on this for 'LostBavarianMan'...I'd be curious to know as well.....

I don't use gelatin at all (many friends are vegetarians) but I would do it only in secondary. If you do it going to bottling, you'd have jell-o in the bottles of beer. Yuck!

Did Hydro test last night air lock was being very still for a couple of days so popped the top and pulled a sample came in at 1.023 FG should be 1.017 but still had a bunch of krusan on top so put the lid back on and this morning the airlock is bubbling away again. Im thinking another 10 days is going to be a full 3 weeks. decided not to rack to secondary. gonna wait it out.
Oh and the sample was delicious.LOL. tasted like a mild IPA.

Back