Racking to secondary before primary is finished?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born3z

Reaction score
First off, I did a search and found some answers but I'm looking for a little more confirmation... So, here's the story. Wednesday I brewed an IPA and pitched a starter I made from Wyeast 1056. Today, I was hoping to brew an American Amber and reuse my yeast cake but, the fermentation is still pretty active. Yesterday it was blowing off and today it has a constant bubble yet. I took a hydro reading and it measured 1.020 so, it clearly has a ways to go. Is it a bad idea to rack it now so I can brew my Amber or should I give it a couple more days?

[Bo][Rn][Ez];3438878 said:
First off, I did a search and found some answers but I'm looking for a little more confirmation... So, here's the story. Wednesday I brewed an IPA and pitched a starter I made from Wyeast 1056. Today, I was hoping to brew an American Amber and reuse my yeast cake but, the fermentation is still pretty active. Yesterday it was blowing off and today it has a constant bubble yet. I took a hydro reading and it measured 1.020 so, it clearly has a ways to go. Is it a bad idea to rack it now so I can brew my Amber or should I give it a couple more days?

How big is the Amber? If it's under 1.060, you are likely overpitching using a yeast cake. I would wash and measure the yeast appropriately.

As to timing, what Revvy said. If you don't want to spring $7 for the 1056, you can pickup US-05 for $3. Same thing.

I'm in agreement that you should let her finish out before transferring. I know it might mess up your schedule if you want to brew today.

But it's up to you ultimately, I've jumped the gun on not being patient myself with the overall process of beer making...in the end whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will be fine.

I would suggest getting another fermentation bucket or carboy (and pitching a new thing of yeast) instead of racking beers prematurely to make space for another.

I would suggest getting another fermentation bucket or carboy (and pitching a new thing of yeast) instead of racking beers prematurely to make space for another.

Hah, I wasn't thinking space was the issue. I have accumulated so many different kinds of fermenters over the years I take that for granted.

Wow, thanks for the super fast responses! I was leaning toward leaving it but I want to brew now! The OG on the Amber is 1.061. Yeah, the main reason is I don't want to spend the money on another smack pack and the LHBS is closed on Sunday anyway. I do have a packet of Munton's ale yeast, but I guess I prefer liquid yeast. If I absolutely can't wait I'll have to use that.

Hah, I wasn't thinking space was the issue. I have accumulated so many different kinds of fermenters over the years I take that for granted.

Yeah, space isn't an issue... Not having yeast is a problem when you want to make beer right now!

Someone mentioned in another thread racking the yeast out from under their beer. Stick your autosiphin into the trub and suck some of that over into another vessel.

Someone mentioned in another thread racking the yeast out from under their beer. Stick your autosiphin into the trub and suck some of that over into another vessel.

Hmm, never thought of that although, seems like something I could really screw up. I think I'll just go with my better judgement and wait until it's done fermenting and then wash the yeast instead of reusing the entire yeast cake. Thanks for the input!

Back