Racking tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbzm

Reaction score
Looking for a few suggestions on proper racking and when to do it. I have a batch that is bubbling at about every 3-5 seconds. And has been going for almost 2 weeks...any kind of advice will help I am assuming racking doesn't tamper with it and it just stirs things up for the yeast to eat up the sugar

The main goal of racking is to get it off the lees (the thick layer of yeasty stuff on the bottom). When I rack my cider, I try to not aerate it anymore than I have to, and then let it sit again in secondary for a week or so and then bottle. While racking won't stop the yeast, it will help keep any off flavors from the lees from settling in to your cider. It's especially important if you're planning on letting it age/condition/clarify for long periods of time.

If you have a hydrometer, I'd check it before you do anything. Give it a taste test as well. It really all depends on what you're trying to make, how you want it to taste and what your plans are for finishing it.

Cheers!

So it's not really good to let it sit with the lees in it for two long...but can I rush it, or do it too soon..it's working pretty hard still right now and I guess I'm worrie to tamper with a good thing... Id really like to get a nice clearer golden honey colored batch and so far I think the color is very nice ...Is there an optimum time like at a certain point like when it slows down or something or do you just kind of rack it whenever

I would check the gravity. If it's getting close to 1.0, I'd rack it.

I usually try to keep my cider to less than 6% ABV and like it carbed, so I let mine get down to about 1.015 or so, then back sweeten and bottle. After it's carbed up (using the plastic bottle as a tester) I stove top pasteurize it and then let it age for a bit.

I'll be picking up a hydrometer this weekend and give a shot at doing it this way...carbonating it would be a good thing as well...my wife drinks a lot of moscato type wines and her favorite thing about it is that little bit of fizz... Any good techniques on achieving that. Also let me thank you for the advice I am trying to absorb as much as possible

Back