Racking Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noah0189

Reaction score
Hey all,
My name is Noah. I'm a first time winemaker. I've been lurking for awhile-- long enough to start a 5 gallon batch of Apfelwein. Can't wait to taste that!

Any way, I have poked around the forum and while I have found answers to similar questions, I still have my own.

I received a Master Vintner kit (this is my first go at the hobby) for Christmas and on 4/26 I started my first batch of Pinot Grigio from a Master Vitner kit.

My questions revolve around the rack between secondary fermentation and bottling... the clearing rack?

Question 1:
I racked the wine into my Big Mouth Bubbler (6.5 gallon capacity) and had a lot of room in there. The instructions say to ensure that the carboy is full to within 2 inches of the airlock. It says to add a similar finished wine and not water. I read that some people use grape juice, some actually use water, some use wine from a previous batch, some use clear marbles. Unfortunately, I was mid-process before I realized that I needed something to fill that space. I ended up buying a 1.75ml bottle of Pinot from the store and it used it all. I'm a bit mad because there is so much wine that I didn't make in my batch now. Granted this kit isn't exactly an advanced kit, but now my batch has a decent amount of store bought wine.

TLDR: Should I buy marbles for future batches or can I rack into a 5 gallon carboy?

Question 2:
Question regards backsweetening
Yes, I know Pinot is pretty sweet as is, but I'm a tinkerer. If I wanted to backsweeten using wine conditioner would I do it at the bottling stage? My idea is to backsweeten a (2) 1/2 gallon growlers to experiment. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Noah

you can rack into any container. I regularly rack into a carboy smaller than my bat h and something big enough to catch the overflow. Sometimes a one gallon, sometimes a 3L, sometimes a big jack Daniels bottle. Point is get it into something with little headspace.
Yes, bottling is the best time to backsweeten, IMO, and any size can work but it will be easiest to sweeten in the bottling bucket, then transfer it to whatever you plan to bottle it in.

Back