Racking onto cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevokie

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I brewed a sour mashed wheat beer earlier in the summer. I let it sit in primary for a while and then I racked half of it onto canned tart cherries in water and frozen bagged sweet cherries. I'm wondering if I will have introduced wild yeast from the bagged cherries. I'm not sure how thorough they clean berries before bagging and freezing. I guess I'm wondering if there's a chance I will have introduced some Brett to the beer. I'm good with whatever, just wondering. Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know more often than not, just freezing stuff is enough to kill some micro organisms..... this is ththe basis to how grocery store sushi does not kill you.
It's really hard to tell how long yours were frozen, I can tell you as a strawberry producer, that your fruit more than likely has some spore on it that may cause your beer to have an off flavour, because fields of fruit often ripen un uniformly.
As a home brewer, I'd close my eyes and let it roll, wouldn't be to worried about it and wouldn't loose any sleep.

Good luck!

Freezing does not kill Brett nor bacteria. If so, life would not exist on this planet. Is there a risk of Brett? Absolutely. Should you worry? No. Some Brett, even if unwanted, will just add some complexity to the beer. In a fruit-wheat it'd probably be nice, unless you were hoping for something sweet.

Don't sweat it. Have fun.

If you're worried about it dunk the fruit in boiling water or a starsan mix in the future.

Yeah, I wasn't really worried about it, more hopeful that some Brett gets involved. Thanks for the replies.

Brett is brettanomyces, it's a wild yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back