Racking lambic to fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potamus

Reaction score
I started a lambic in March 2014. As the primary fermentation winded down after about four days, I racked to a secondary and added Wyeast's Belgian lambic blend. It's been sitting in the same carboy since, forming a nice pellicle at a stable 65 degrees. On Saturday, I racked it onto some raspberry puree to make a framboise. I was expecting to see fermentation kick back up with the added sugar in the fruit, but it doesn't appear anything has happened yet. I'm wondering if I need to add more yeast at this point, or will the bugs come to life on their own after a while?

Once you racked to secondary and left the main yeast cake behind, the remaining yeast in secondary may be all dead since it was a long time ago. The pH may also be inhibiting yeast activity, but I could be off on that one. If the other bugs are chewing away at the fruit they will not likely produce the same type of off-gas that Sacc does so there may not be visible fermentation. It's been sitting there comfortable for a year, a few more weeks/months isn't going to hurt if the sugars are going to be consumed in time.

I'd just give it some time. No need to worry at this point.

As with anything sour related....relax, step AWAY from the fermenter, and give it time. I've had fruit beers blow up like a freshly pitched wit, and I've had them not make a single peep. They all turned out fine!

Quick update: It took about a week and a half, but now I'm seeing signs of fermentation. I just wanted to make sure the bugs weren't dead. Thanks for making me wait!

Bugs take YEARS to really stop working, not like those pansy sacch yeast cells who crap out after a few weeks. ;)

Back